Thread: Small shaker style end table

Small shaker style end table

I began this little project in late fall 2022 with the intention of finishing it within a week a or two, but other priorities emerged and this was put on the back burner. With the beginning of spring, I knew I needed to get it out of the shop soon or it would be fall of 2023 before I finished it. I really like the shaker style. I find it simply pleasing in all aspects.

This was primarily a hand tool project but I did use the bandsaw to cut the double tapers on the legs. The jointing and thicknessing was by hand. Mortises hand chopped (I enjoy chopping mortising) and tenons hand sawn (no they did not fit off the saw but the router plane took them down size without much hassle.)

I started with 5/4 soft maple and kind of winged it from there. I am not in love with way the drawer turned out, but I think it will suffice for now - at least until next fall. Overall, it was fun and straightforward M&T build.

While cherry is my favorite wood to work with, maple is a close second. The little bit of walnut used in this project also has me wishing I could afford to use more of that wood!

Apologies that some these pics are rotated working from my phone.

IMG_1486.jpg IMG_1490.jpg IMG_1480.jpg IMG_1556.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg IMG_2206.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Tim!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nice job. I think many of us have made similar Shaker tables as one of our first furniture projects because the design is so simple, pleasing, and versatile.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Thanks, Fred and Stan.

Stan, you hit the nail on the head. The design is simple once one builds a few basic skills, it is aesthetically pleasing (to my eyes anyway). I would have an house full of shaker style furniture if my wife would let me! While I had not really considered versatility, its potential versatility showed up the minute I brought it from the basement workshop. I imagined it going in one room, my wife commandeered it for another room.

I wonder if the Shakers still use that stuff , or if they have moved on. Their business model didn’t allow for passing down stuff to next
    generation.

Nice table Tim, the hand tool work is satisfying. I too like mortising by hand...chopping is a stress reliever for me. The table will probably be around for a 100 years. The junk they sell nowadays is sad.