Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best low-maintenance finish for outdoor bench

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Why would a mildewicide be a bad thing indoors?
    Exterior products aren't formulated with any thought given to them being something people may handle.
    The mildewcide in them is rather toxic and not something you want to have on a surface that might be handled or come in contact with someone.
    Sort of the same thing as using treated lumber. Good for a fence - not a good idea for a picnic table.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I would have used an exterior waterborne solid-color stain. It would eventually start to wear away, but not peel. You would get several years out of each application, and can have it custom tinted in many colors.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

So after MANY test samples of products, the closest color I could come to what SWMBO wanted was Nova Exo Shield Tung Oil Stain. It has UV inhibitors in it, plus uses trans oxide dye in it, so I added a bunch more of Transfast to it. Really didn't seem to make it darker, and the Nova rep I spoke with was a little surprised, as he usually has people saying it is too dark, not too light.
    Completed Outdoor Bench 1.jpg
    Not too difficult to apply, and would be easy with normal flat surfaces, but all of those slats . You really have to wipe this stuff off within 20 minutes (I think 10 minutes would be better).

Awaiting the custom cushion that I ordered, then it will go outside. Meanwhile, curing indoors.

Should look nice in its allotted space. Not an easy build - especially the curved legs.

It will be interesting too see how often I need to reapply finish, and how grey it gets in the Florida afternoon sun.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

It looks great, Alan. Keep good photos of how it looks now, so you can compare it as it ages to help determine when it's time for maintenance. I'll mention one more time that I keep a cover over the two pieces of outdoor furniture I made. Plenty of maintenance before I did that, zero since.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    It looks great, Alan. Keep good photos of how it looks now, so you can compare it as it ages to help determine when it's time for maintenance. I'll mention one more time that I keep a cover over the two pieces of outdoor furniture I made. Plenty of maintenance before I did that, zero since.

John
    Pretty crappy picture now. I’ll do better when I bring it outside.

I saw some place online that makes custom furniture covers. Have to find it again.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.