Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best low-maintenance finish for outdoor bench

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Still waiting on small test sample bottles from One Time. It's been several weeks now, and when I called the company they said their postal meter was broken, so it hasn't been sent out. I really didn't know what to say to that. If only one could use a method of transportation to drive to a post office. Wondering how long it would take to get the finish itself if I am okay with the color.

Their tech support is losing the sale pretty quickly (or slowly in this case).

Reminds me of last week when I went to the post office to get some stamps. I was told they were out of stamps, and were having trouble getting in stamps. When I said, "But you're the Post Office", she just shrugged.

Welcome to the new and improved customer service at most companies. I see now that OneTime is no longer available on Amazon which is where I bought it. Hmmm.

A PO not having stamps is pretty amazing. The response you got isn't surprising, sadly.

John

So the samples came yesterday from One Time. I put two colors on the test boards. Looks way too light and brown. Not a deep brown at all on the test pieces of white oak.

Clearly, the best looking samples were of the Dark Tung Oil with Mixol Dark Brown Oxide and Grey Oxide dye mixed in. Tempting to use that, and plan on yearly re-coating. Mold grown is concerning, though. Is this just a bad idea?

SWMBO says to just paint it dark brown or grey, but that concept makes me shutter. Why cover up all this nice wood.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

So the samples came yesterday from One Time. I put two colors on the test boards. Looks way too light and brown. Not a deep brown at all on the test pieces of white oak.

Clearly, the best looking samples were of the Dark Tung Oil with Mixol Dark Brown Oxide and Grey Oxide dye mixed in. Tempting to use that, and plan on yearly re-coating. Mold grown is concerning, though. Is this just a bad idea?

SWMBO says to just paint it dark brown or grey, but that concept makes me shutter. Why cover up all this nice wood.

Too bad the OneTime didn't work for you. At this point, I'd look at commercial deck stains. If none of them appeal to you then go ahead and try your home brewed approach. If it fails you can always paint it. You already have the go-ahead from the boss.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Too bad the OneTime didn't work for you. At this point, I'd look at commercial deck stains. If none of them appeal to you then go ahead and try your home brewed approach. If it fails you can always paint it. You already have the go-ahead from the boss.

John
    Are the commercial deck stains film-forming? If not, a real thought. But no way I'm dealing with refinishing a film-forming finish in the future.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

...Why cover up all this nice wood.
    To avoid a maintenance nightmare.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Are the commercial deck stains film-forming? If not, a real thought. But no way I'm dealing with refinishing a film-forming finish in the future.
    Some are not. You might consider this one from Cabot. I'm sure there are others. It solves your mold/mildew problem, too, or says it does.

https://www.cabotstain.com/en/produc...tem-5fb819b3a5

John

Some are not. You might consider this one from Cabot. I'm sure there are others. It solves your mold/mildew problem, too, or says it does.

https://www.cabotstain.com/en/produc...tem-5fb819b3a5

John
    I've had success with Cabot exterior semi-transparent oil stain. Got it at Lowes - neutral base and custom tint. Repeat yearly or as needed. Maybe sand back or power wash.

I don't know what it looks like on WO. You can buy teensy sample cans, IIRC.

Oh - yeah, also - this class of product is NOT film-forming. You are correct - you want no part of a film product.
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 05-10-2023 at 12:00 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

OP--you are probably aware that white oak, left bare, will weather to the very pale gray color you are after?

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    OP--you are probably aware that white oak, left bare, will weather to the very pale gray color you are after?
    If it doesn't mold, which is pretty common for white oak, and many other woods, left untreated where I live.

John

If it doesn't mold, which is pretty common for white oak, and many other woods, left untreated where I live.

John
    If you never clean it, yes. But a little bleach should stop mold.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    If you never clean it, yes. But a little bleach should stop mold.
    It can be a real pain to get rid of once mold gets into it. Genuine TSP and bleach and effort. Much better to do whatever you can to prevent the mold from starting.

John

The job of white oak is to last longer than you , and it’s easy work. Forget about how long it’s gonna last ,and just buy something.

I'm going to be going in the Dark Tung Oil with Mixol Dark Brown Oxide dye and Grey Oxides mixed in. Really the only color combo that SWMBO liked. And I just can't bear to paint the bench.

Yearly reapplication won't be an issue. Just have to avoid the film finishes. Bummed about the One Time, but their darkest finish was still very light/warm brown. Won't work for SWMBO.

Concerned about mold. Have to watch out for that. I'm going to put some rubber legs hidden on the bottom to get the bottom off the cement floor. That should help a little.

Time will tell how that color morphs into grey. Hopefully with the Mixol and dark dyes it will morph into a dark grey brown. But who knows.

Zinsser - the B*I*N people - make and sell a mildewcide - ADD-2 - you can add to your mixture that will help stave off mold/mildew.
    Nearly all exterior finishes have some sort of mildewcide added, which is one reason why you don't want to use exterior products inside.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Zinsser - the B*I*N people - make and sell a mildewcide - ADD-2 - you can add to your mixture that will help stave off mold/mildew.
    Nearly all exterior finishes have some sort of mildewcide added, which is one reason why you don't want to use exterior products inside.
    Why would a mildewicide be a bad thing indoors?