Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TS sled 1 vs 2 runners

Just wanted to post the results of my sled build. I measured both table top slots and aligned the blade to the left slot. Measuring the right slot it was out of parallel to the blade by about .007 so I only used 1 runner. I used a HDPE cutting board from Amazon that I carefully cut to size. I predrilled holes in the runner for #8 screws every 2". I tried to bond the runner to the base with CA glue but it would not stick. I wasn't wild about using 2 sided tape so after passing the runner under my propane torch and applying a drop of West System 5min epoxy between each screw, taping off the edges of the table in case there was squeeze out of epoxy. Weighting down the base I came back an hour later was was able to screw the runner in place. It is rock solid with no wiggle whatsoever. I used the 5 cut method to align the fence but I struggled getting it right until I stumbled across this purpose built calculator: https://coda.io/@brian-k/simple-5-cu...led-calculator
    Once I followed that I dialed it in quickly. This was my first sled build and if dead on accuracy is in your blood and your a beginner like me I would recommend using less than stellar materials to build one then once you work out any kinks and make decisions like, do you want t-tracks in the base? Do you want to center the blade on the base? Do you want a t-track on the fence closest to you with a measuring tape or not move on to your good material.
    Thanks to Brian @ Bike City Woodworks for taking the time to create the calculator.
    Hope this helps someone.

I used two HDPE runners for my crosscut sled when I owned a Dewalt 7491. It worked well. Really took crosscut accuracy to the next level for a jobsite saw.

As mentioned above, make the HDPE runners tight to the outside of each miter slot and it will eliminate slope. The HDPE will wear in to any poorly machined areas and won't shrink/swell with humidity changes.

You'll be able to feel if a particular area is tight and you can adjust fit with a block plane.

One runner might work just as well in this case, but I have no personal experience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    I used two HDPE runners for my crosscut sled when I owned a Dewalt 7491. It worked well. Really took crosscut accuracy to the next level for a jobsite saw.

As mentioned above, make the HDPE runners tight to the outside of each miter slot and it will eliminate slope. The HDPE will wear in to any poorly machined areas and won't shrink/swell with humidity changes.

You'll be able to feel if a particular area is tight and you can adjust fit with a block plane.

One runner might work just as well in this case, but I have no personal experience with it.
    Yes Keegan, but what you are missing is the fact that the DISTANCE between the runners WILL change due to humidity changes, and that just as well modifies the fit.

Large CC had 2 but I replaced that with miter 5000 that uses both but seperately. My small one uses 1 slot

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cameron View Post
    Yes Keegan, but what you are missing is the fact that the DISTANCE between the runners WILL change due to humidity changes, and that just as well modifies the fit.
    Dan, I'm fully aware that the dimensions of wood objects change with humidity.

In practical application, two HDPE runners screwed to a 3/4" BB cross cut sled works great.

I know this from first hand experience with the exact saw the OP is asking about...

That would lead me to conclude that while humidity changes the dimensions of the 3/4" BB sled, it doesn't change enough to matter.

I'm not sure why this one runner v. two runner argument always seems to turn into a religious war. Use the one you like and get back to woodworking!

I use one bar and it is the Incra Miter Slider on my Sawstop PCS. It slides easy and tight in the slot. Typically, I use the sled for shorter things. I have tried making my own bar but it takes too much time. The miter slider adjust easily and when I retire a sled, I take the bar off and reuse it.