Thread: Hinge help please

Hinge help please

I’m in process of building a couple humidors. I’m now at the point where I need to purchase a couple of hinges. I know normally a quadrant hinge is used in the corners of the box. But I wanted to have radiused corners so there isn’t enough space in the for a quadrant hinge. I don’t like the idea of a piano hinge. I would like a precision hinge that will maintain precision alignment of the top to the case. I originally planned to machine my own hinges but before heading off on such a tangent I thought I’d ask here what others would use. Maybe a wood hinge? Or a barrel hinge?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

How about Soss hinges
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Yes maybe. I researched them but one review said that they are a bit loose. I wonder if they will be precise enough. I’m looking for that piston fit when the lid closes. I may just have to order a couple to see.
    The Plane Anarchist

I’ve used Brusso in the past. Very precise stuff. A bit spendy but worth it. Lee Valley has them available on their website. I’ve seen them at my local Rockler affiliate too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Brusso has butts with an integral stop, very precise. They also make a nice side rail hinge as does Smarthinge. https://www.smartboxmaker.com/product/smarthinge/

Blog Entries
    Leigh, I don't know if these would suit your application, but I have used cylinder hinges on a number of boxes and my wife's jewelry case.
    IMG_0384-s.jpgjewel3.jpg
    This is how they would look from the back.
    jewel4.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

thanks folks. I ordered a set of Soss hinges and a few barrel/cylinder hinges to try.
    The Plane Anarchist