Thread: For the dog(s)…

For the dog(s)…

Hi all - I’ve never posted in this section before mostly because my finished pieces are somewhat comical compared to what is normally posted here. That said, I’m particularly proud of this latest project.

In the last 6 months my wife and I lost our two fury companions (14 yr old American mutt and 16 year Boxer) and adopted a boxer pup from a family that didn’t fully appreciate how much energy a boxer pup has!

One of my first “projects” many years ago was to build a raised bowl feeder for our original pups. Our vet at the time recommended one. Instead of buying one, I decided to put my new woodworking “skills” to use. Eventually I came out with this…it’s cheap pine and pocket hole construction…the blue thing in front.
    IMG_2201.jpg

This worked really well for our pups and was working well for the new pup but I decided that Zyggy (new pup) needed something of his own. I had some rough 5/4 ash about 6 inches wide left over from a dining room table project that I wanted use up and some 4/4 rough cherry about 5 inches wide that was begging to come off the wood rack.

For the most part, this was a hand tool only build. M&T construction with thru tenons in the back (no pic) because I was having fun chopping mortises. I did use the jig saw to cut the holes out (I really don’t like that tool). I was forced to use pocket hole screws to attach the top because I was out of Z clips. I didn’t realize I was out of Z clips until after I plowed the grooves for the Z clips. I will likely pull the screws out and replace with Z clips. I bevelled the top edges just because I could. It was an afterthought, but I like it. It is not perfect by any means but a fun project nonetheless. Also, perhaps my working “skills” moved into the rudimentary stage?

The finish is Odie’s oil, which become my go to finish.

IMG_2200.jpg IMG_2199.jpg IMG_2197.jpg IMG_2191.jpg

That looks good! That also looks like a very good pup.

Very nice Tim. I made one similar to that years ago for my Shepherd. I can tell you that no matter the finish it won't stay looking like that for too long. But that's unavoidable mostly because of the water. Period cleaning and a new light coat of finish will work. I hope that the location with the register right below is not where you would have heat coming out at times.

Hi John - I agree and suspect the finish will take a beating over time and no it is not placed over the register. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Very nice thing for you to make for your dog. I made a similar bowl holder for my dog and he used it for his 16+ years of life. The only problem I had with it was the wood. Red Oak has too may open pores and no matter how many coats of finish you put on they still suck in water and damage the finish. I refreshed the finish on ours several times. Even so it lasted over 16 years.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Best View Post
    ... and adopted a boxer pup from a family that didn’t fully appreciate how much energy a boxer pup has!
    We are literally living that this week since we adopted Oliver, a 9 mo old Boxer mix on Sunday after meeting him the day before. He's already "big" but very much an energetic puppy!

IMG_4595.jpg

Your project is very timely as I'm thinking about building a raised feeting setup, too. Thanks for posting this!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

They are an energetic and athletic breed. I miss my older pups, but it has been nice to have a puppy in the house and yard and again.

I’m sure that whatever you build will be superior to my meager endeavor, but I do have one piece of advice: Make the holes for the bowls a little small so that the lip of bowl sits proud of the top. I learned this by sheer accident when I made the first raised bowl holder years ago. While the bowl may look better sitting flush with top, the lip of the bowl sticking up is big plus—especially the water bowl.

That's good advice about the bowls and I'll try to implement that should I decide to build one. As to the level of my work...I'm sure your's is better.

Meanwhile, Oliver is a "good boy". Mostly. He was with another family originally and they did squat with training, so he's a little behind when it comes to his behind, if you catch my drift. But he's getting better and once we have a fence and can let him frollic outside independently, that should help, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

They generally are great dogs to own, high energy, but inspire them with working dog chores, and you have a winner.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. —Josh Billings