Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much do you use your drum sander?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hall View Post
    I assume you ditched the drum sander when you got the WBS? What brand/model did you end up with?
    Yeah, the drum sander I had was an unreliable toy compared to the WBS. The WBS opens up so many more possibilities for accurate thicknessing, flattening, etc. I had a SuperMax 37x2, and my WBS is a 1990s SCMI Uno. Solid, simple machine that works really well and still has parts available.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

how does a wide belt flatten unless its got a second platten and a more expensive machine, aware they exist, kitchen friend had one. For custom work ill take a stroke over a wide belt. Ideal to have both but if only one for me it would be a stroke.

I know plenty of people get good use from a drum sander but for commercial cabinet or furniture work a wide belt is almost essential. Speed of changing paper, lessened loading due to the oscillating head, platen for finishing passes, (typically) more accuracy, power and throughput are the great advantages. I am fortunate to have access to a widebelt nearby so I can forgo stuffing another machine into my already crowded shop. If I did need my own sander I would much prefer a small widebelt over a drum unit - it's like the difference between a sliding table saw and a cabinet saw.

I used to have a stroke sander but ultimately could not justify the space required. They are very effective machines in the right hands, simple and very affordable used. Not many people appreciate what they can do. Not for long sticks or precise thicknessing but capable of getting to a finish ready surface far faster than hand-held sanders.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 04-23-2023 at 3:39 PM.

I have a wide belt drum, belt change takes seconds and it oscillates. When I have to calibrate something i will use it. Havent used it in 20 years or more.

There is one available to me as a membership of the shop where I belong. I have used it several times at first but not much now. Also, I don’t see it being used very much by other members. This is a non production shop.

decent strokes have C ends and can do long material. The limit is more about placement of the machine and if there are restrictions to either side next how you secure the wood when you work. Ive done long base boards past. Simple and easy do half then spin around do the other half. Mine could be set up in a better place than it is now and could also use a vacuum hold down. Will get to it.

I also have the Supermax 25-50. My experience has been the opposite of yours . It is used a lot. It’s a good sander. I do a lot of bent lamination and it’s invaluable for that. It’s one of those machines that I didn’t think I would use nearly as much as I do.