Thread: Record Power Camvac?

Record Power Camvac?

Does anyone here have any experience with Record Power's dust extractor/collectors (https://www.recordpower.co.uk/catego...t-extraction)? They seem to be popular in Europe, but Ive never seen one on this side of the Atlantic.

The only substantial informational review I've found on it is here:

https://canadianwoodworking.com/tool...ust-extractor/

But this guy on youtube who seems to know his dust collection makes a strong case for this system as a primary dust collector for a small shop:
    https://youtu.be/e_WJ9DRAVRU

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with these systems. They have a new wall mounted unit with a larger chip container that I'm tempted by, but I don't know anyone who has actually used one.

I'd be grateful for any first hand experiences, or even second hand impressions.

I thought record went out of business about ten year ago. Similar time frame for eclipse. Both old school British shop tool companies.
    Bill D

Record power is still alive and well in the Uk

https://www.recordpower.co.uk/

I guess this is a no then...? High cfm extractors like this seem to be the norm in Europe, while they seem completely unknown in North America.

I don't have a camvac but did purchase the Oneida SuperCell. It's basically the same thing and it works really well in my shop.
    The advantage I see with the camvac is being able to plug a long hose into the top to act as a silencer. I had to build a sound closet around the SuperCell.

I see Record brand products on YouTube channels I watch that originate in the UK, but don't believe you're going to find much of anything "this side of the pond". Unlike Triton, they don't seem to be very interested in this marketplace.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There's a dealer in Canada that is really pushing record extractors, and has even manufactured its own hepa canister filters for them. The hooked on wood guy (YouTube) uses a set of their filters, I think. The owner is very responsive and knowledgeable about the product. Check them out:
    https://stockroomsupply.com/collecti...s/record-power

The potential issues I see with them are:
    1) limited chip containers, meaning more emptying. Their new 150L model gets some of the way to addressing this, but I wish I could add more.
    2) the filters and how often they need cleaning. I hate cleaning filters and this design is just completely unknown to me.
    3) the real world effectiveness, especially with small particles.

The upsides are pretty clear too: HUGE suction power and surprisingly low noise (with the addition of sound dampening hoses). The footprint is pretty tempting too...

Anyway, appreciate your thoughts and I'll hope for more. If i take the plunge and buy one, I'll update here.

Really interesting, Joel. Weirdly, I hadn't considered the supercell as a comparable unit, but I think you're right. The large cyclone on SC is an obvious advantage and the expertise of the brand, but it also costs 3-4 times as much as one of these, and takes up a lot of room (especially with sound closet). Thanks for this!

Be careful about believing any "huge CFM" figures on mass market dust collectors, no matter what the brand name.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Sully View Post
    Really interesting, Joel. Weirdly, I hadn't considered the supercell as a comparable unit, but I think you're right. The large cyclone on SC is an obvious advantage and the expertise of the brand, but it also costs 3-4 times as much as one of these, and takes up a lot of room (especially with sound closet). Thanks for this!
    Yeah I can't argue with the cost.
    My closet is more like a sound wall with a half door. The inside is double layer of something called SonoPan which is used to soundproof rooms. I also used a lot of acoustic foam panels to kill the echo. I measured on my phone 96db before and 69db after the closet.

20221121_150402.jpg 20221121_150346.jpg

The SC, if you have the height, doesn't take up much room at all IMHO. It's one of a couple reasons I chose it over the Harvey. Cost is no fun, but I believe it is worth what I paid. I also don't find it terribly loud compared to the machines it is usually attached to, so the sound closet seems unnecessary unless you want to try and get away with not wearing ear protection. In which case your sensitivity and eventual hearing loss will vary

That is an incredible drop in noise. It also sounds like a necessity, if it really is 96db without closet. That's some loud! Thanks for the pics! I'll follow up if I end up going this route. Honestly, at the moment I don't think I can afford the SC...

I'm sure it's worth the price, but I've just replaced my table saw with a sawstop, so my budget is...small. Ear protection seems like a necessity with any of the dust collectors unless they're sound dampened somehow. But if a closet gets it down to 69db, that does get into safe territory for the old ear drums...