Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you sign your work?

Poll: Do you sign your work?

Me, almost never.

Sometimes.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yes, but in the houses I work on, in a place that requires some disassembly and won’t be seen for probably a couple of hundred years, along with a story about current events, and list of guys working on it.

I forgot. Date is important too.

I don’t need to sign my work I can spot a piece I’ve made anywhere any time.
    Aj

I read that the 20 dollar bills were popular with counterfeiters. But they never sign , even their best work. I’ve wondered if a tip
    has ever been sent to to the authorities about a counter-fitter, And if the authorities ever find a couple of guy trying to wrangle a big elliptical
    counter-top onto a bar. And we all know that the guys working on that are in no mood to be hassled.

Yes, sometimes..
    Charlie Jones

Charlie, You topped me , with fewer words . Good work !

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Yes, but in the houses I work on, in a place that requires some disassembly and won’t be seen for probably a couple of hundred years, along with a story about current events, and list of guys working on it.

I sometimes leave artifacts inside of walls. One place that I still work on has a Sawzall that died hanging in a cavity. And of course have found lots of stuff.

Blog Entries
    It depends on what I am working on, who the work is for, and whether or not I have been asked to. It is fun to find signatures. Sining a dating the ridge beam is a thing with house carpenter's. Most of the folks I work for can not get into their attics and have had me photograph signatures I have found. Great Grandpa's barn has a neat paragraph about the tornado that took out the predecessor and the crew that came to the rebuilding. I will find the photo of that. When I was doing my apprenticeship there was a bit of a ceremony with the signing of a piece with the date, and some coded notes, then the item gets closed up and the signatures will likely never be seen again (unless someone really tries).

IMG_1638.jpg IMG_1639.jpg
    The family historians are looking for the list of barn raising participants and a transcription.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-18-2023 at 7:09 PM. Reason: images
    Best Regards, Maurice

If it's good enough.

I have a branding iron and use it when I remember to and it's appropriate. When I was cutting things on the CNC for sale, I engraved those things directly when appropriate, such on the bottom of a box or the back of a sign/plaque. And sometimes it's just a Sharpie. Most of the time...it's nothing for general projects, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

100% of the time. Signed (legibly) and dated. I want whoever finds it decades from now to know where it came from.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    100% of the time. Signed (legibly) and dated. I want whoever finds it decades from now to know where it came from.

Me too. Small plaque with my last name and city, who for last name, date. In a non-obvious place. If you knew there was one, in most cases you'd have to spend time hunting for it. I'm not sure the "who for" crowd has ever stumbled across it. Don't tell them.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Yes when I build for friends/family, no when I'm commissioned.