Thread: When to stop using stripper

When to stop using stripper

Not that type of stripper fellas.

I'm stripping the Waterlox finish off a gunstock and Id like to know how to tell when I have all the finish off.

Should I use a brass bristled brush to scrub the finish out of the wood pores/
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Are you 100% sure it's Waterlox & only Waterlox? Is there anything else, like a coat of shellac maybe? Or wax? Or stain?

What are you planning to put back on once you've stripped it?

Which stripper are you using/planning on using?

Pictures would help.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    One of my tests is to sand with 220 and examine the dust and sandpaper. If the paper stays clean, and the dust looks like the wood, most of the finish is gone.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Look at the pores. They should be open and clean. If there's any hint of gloss there is still finish in them. I use a nylon brush, never metal, to scrub stuff I'm suspicious might still have finish in. After stripping and neutralizing and the wood is dry, wipe with a damp rag. If it wets completely, there's no finish remaining. But if you see tiny dry dots there is still finish, or perhaps stain, in the pores.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Are you 100% sure it's Waterlox & only Waterlox? Is there anything else, like a coat of shellac maybe? Or wax? Or stain?

What are you planning to put back on once you've stripped it?

Which stripper are you using/planning on using?

Pictures would help.
    Here's some pictures of my project. It's 100% Waterlox, I put it on and not happy with the color. I plan on using some alcohol based dye after stripping and sanding then more Waterlox. I believe the stripper is Ethylbenzene, that's the big chemical word on the can. I've been letting the stripper sit for 10-15 minutes after spraying and wiping it off. The toweling has some brownish color after wiping and I don't know if it's varnish or not. On some of the pictures it looks like some finish in the pores yet. Should I wash the stock with something to get all the stripper residue off when I'm done stripping?

IMG_0977.jpgIMG_0978.jpgIMG_0981.jpgIMG_0982 (1).jpgIMG_0984.jpg
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Hard to believe ethylbenzene is safer than methylene chloride, but so it is with regulations. The directions should say how to neutralize it after you're done stripping it. With methylene chloride you could use mineral spirits or water. After it's dry, blow out the pores with compressed air, or go over it several times with a nylon brush and vacuum. Then wipe it with a damp cloth to see if the pores stand out, they shouldn't.

John

Thanks for the help. I'll wipe it down with some water tomorrow. Weather here is going back to spring temps. next week. I'll have to wait for warmer days if it needs more stripping.

Blog Entries
    It has been over 40 years since I refinished a stock. I see our neighbors YouTube is active again. Some of the videos disappeared for a while. This gentleman does some neat projects and offers lots of products.
    MidwayUSA - YouTube
    Best Regards, Maurice

Klean Strip has a product called "After Wash" that they say to use to clean the surface.
    They also recommend Odorless Paint Thinner.

From the looks of what you have, I'd say you have it all off. Waterlox isn't really a difficult material to remove - not like an epoxy or MCU or even a solvent based urethane.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Klean Strip has a product called "After Wash" that they say to use to clean the surface.
    They also recommend Odorless Paint Thinner.

From the looks of what you have, I'd say you have it all off. Waterlox isn't really a difficult material to remove - not like an epoxy or MCU or even a solvent based urethane.
    Wiped it down twice with odorless paint thinner yesterday. Leaving it sit today it's 35* outside, too cold to do anything with it.

If it looks ok when it's wetted with the oderless thinner, then it should be in good shape refinish.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Hard to believe ethylbenzene is safer than methylene chloride, but so it is with regulations. The directions should say how to neutralize it after you're done stripping it. With methylene chloride you could use mineral spirits or water. After it's dry, blow out the pores with compressed air, or go over it several times with a nylon brush and vacuum. Then wipe it with a damp cloth to see if the pores stand out, they shouldn't.

John
    I’ve got no advice on the stripping/finishing, but if that stuff is ethyl benzene I’d use it outdoors. If not outdoors I’d want really good ventilation and even consider using a respirator with an organic vapor cartridge.