Thread: Diabetes meter recalled for fire hazard

Diabetes meter recalled for fire hazard

In case anyone has one or knows someone who has a onboard diabetes meter. This is the freestyle libre model. The lithium battery can catch fire and burn your arm before you can get it off.
    Bad news since many diabetics get nerve damage and might not feel the burn before they smell it.
    Bill D.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...ower%20adapter.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-15-2023 at 4:04 PM.

The issue is not with the sensor attached to the user’s arm. It is with the separate reader and can occur while charging that device. So there is no direct threat of burning your arm.

On the other hand, if your reader overheats while charging and starts a fire, that might be worse.

Lithium battery. Catch fire. Why does this not surprise me?

I read the FDA notice and it appears the issue is with not using the approved charger and cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I read the FDA notice and it appears the issue is with not using the approved charger and cable.
    Correct. I have not observed any problem using a different charger and cable for my reader. Apparently some chargers do cause a problem, and it is easier for Abbott to tell customers to use the one that comes with the reader rather than try to verify which third-party chargers are okay and which are not.

Out of an abundance of caution, I am now using the supplied charger and cable.

I do not have the Abbott reader but have noticed that there are a huge number of various chargers. There are so many with different outputs that I do not think it is possible to list the bad ones. I do have a different medical device that I have to charge and the instructions state the specs for ok chargers. It is not a lithium battery.

We have an insulin "Fridge" that we use for travel to hold insulin vials. It has a USB-C connector, but we have found that it needs its own power supply to work. Not a fire hazard. Just doesn't work with multiple other companies power supplies. A few yes. Most, no.

Doesn't make sense, but we found out quickly this was the case. How this stuff gets past the FDA, I don't know. but something to be careful about.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.