Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Subpanel breaker type

Subpanel breaker type

I'm trying to put in a 200 amp subpanel in my shop. I have a commercial eaton 400amp panel. It takes type BA and BAB breakers. I can't find either of these on more then 100 amps. I did buy a 100 amp breaker to work for now however I already ran 2/0 copper to the subpanel so I would need to cut down the conductor to fit in the 100 amp breaker. I know it's not advised to cut down a conductor but i cant seem to come up with an alternative. I tried calling a couple of electricians and they either don't have the time or don't do commercial work. Any advice would be appreciated. I can't imagine for a commercial panel the largest breaker available is 100 amps there are other breaker types listed on the panel but I can't find any other those.

You can get adapters that go on the ends of larger size cable than fits in a breaker. I'm getting ready to put 750 MCM into a 200 amp breaker. They come in all sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    You can get adapters that go on the ends of larger size cable than fits in a breaker. I'm getting ready to put 750 MCM into a 200 amp breaker. They come in all sizes.
    Thanks. I just ordered a couple. I am still hopeful I can find a 200amp breaker for a long term solution.

Do you mean a 400 map main breaker. I would just use a switch. Why do need more then 100 amps on one circuit? At that level go to three phase.<br>In a square D QO or HOM panel the main switch/breaker is a different type called a QOM.&nbsp; I guess for QO main<br>
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-15-2023 at 5:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Do you mean a 400 map main breaker. I would just use a switch. Why do need more then 100 amps on one circuit? At that level go to three phase.
    In a square D QO or HOM panel the main switch/breaker is a different type called a QOM. I guess for QO main
    Bill D
    I have a panel with a 400 amp main breaker. I am trying to add a 200 amp sub panel on the other floor of the building to reduce the length of my branch circuits. I can't find a 200 amp branch circuit breaker to feed the subpanel.

Here is the panel and what breakers it accepts
    20230415_111135.jpg
    20230324_153104.jpg

Thanks for the clarification. PER Eaton looks like BAB maxs out at 125 amps.
    Bill D

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/ea...a08100005e.pdf

I'm not a licensed electrician, so get advice from one. Having said that, I don't think you will find a branch breaker greater than 125 amps. There are two ways that I know of to do what you want.

1. 400/320 amp meter bases often provide for 2 lugs on the load side so two main panels can be connected to the meter. This is common with 400 amp service to a house where two 200 main panels are fed from the same meter. If the meter base doesn't provide for 2 lugs, you may be able to use double lugs if they are approved for you meter base and allowed by your inspector.

1b. You could add a separate enclosure where you splice the feeders from your meter base with two sets of feeders, one for your existing panel and 1 for your new panel.

2. You could replace your current main panel with a feed through panel, which has lugs on the far end of the busses to allow running the feed to a second panel.

Additional caveat: I'm not sure your 2/0 wire is big enough to do any of the above.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

What Paul mentioned is how I have the infrastructure split between the house and the shop...meter box lugs feed in two directions; one to the house main and one to the shop main. (the former actually to the transfer switch for the generator and the latter via a disconnect on the outside of house. Although your situation is slightly different, the same methodology could likely be used to get separate power "up there" for the reason you wish. Do it before the 400 amp panel rather than after it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a 600 amp commercial service, so I do have a traditional 320 amp meter base. My system is ser up with a CT cabinet with 2 meters. 1 meter feeds a 200 amp panel on the top floor the other feeds my 400 amp panel on the first floor the sub panel I'm trying to run will be in the basement

2/0 copper is 175 amp or 195 amp. you need 3/0 for 200 amps.
    Bill D.
    https://www.cerrowire.com/products/r...pacity-charts/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-16-2023 at 12:42 AM.

And larger depending on how long the wire needs to be.

The simple answer is Polaris connectors to reduce conductor size, not inexpensive but perfect for the situation.

https://duckduckgo.com/?va=h&t=hq&q=...nectors&ia=web

All the ones I've ever used like that were Burndy's. Those are the ones stocked by suppliers around here, and everyone, including guys that work behind the counters call them "Burndy's".

That's a great solution for making a 90 degree turn with different sizes of wires into a breaker. I thank you Rollie for reminding me. If they made single tap with different size lugs in and out it would be great.

https://www.zoro.com/burndy-insulate...hoC_A4QAvD_BwE
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-19-2023 at 5:20 PM.

This thread saved me a bunch of money. I had forgotten that the largest bus bar breaker you could get was 125. I was going to run 200 down there, just in case I needed that much later. Doing some refiguring, 125 is plenty, so I'm saving almost 7,000 dollars by only needing 500-500-500-350 MCM instead of 750 MCM. The cost is almost double for 500 feet. It needs to be that large because there will be a 65 amp subpanel another 300 feet away.

I wasn't going to be able to pick up that spool of 750 with my tractor, but can easily handle the spool of 500, so it saves more than money.