Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Edge Square on Base

Live Edge Square on Base

Hello all- This is probably a ridiculous newb question, but I'll fire away. I recently glued up a live edge desk top for my home. The length is 59", but I kept the natural edges. I am putting this on (2) premade filing cabinets that are 14 1/8" w x 22 7/8" d x 27" h.

Do you square the end of the live edge to the cabinets? I am having a terrible time figuring out what looks right. In the photo I made the premade opening 28 3/4" front/back and square. However, that leaves odd looking ends of the desk top.

Thanks!

IMG_6530.jpgIMG_6524 copy.jpgIMG_6527.jpg

To my eye, the asymmetry of the live edge is fighting with the boxiness of the filing cabinets. With the current configuration you don't have much leeway to reposition the top since you need a certain amount of open space between the two cabinets. Consider using one filing cabinet on the wider end of the desktop and open legs on the other.
    Last edited by Dave Fitzgerald; 04-14-2023 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fitzgerald View Post
    To my eye, the asymmetry of the live edge is fighting with the boxiness of the filing cabinets. With the current configuration you don't have much leeway to reposition the top since you need a certain amount of open space between the two cabinets. Consider using one filing cabinet on the wider end of the desktop and open legs on the other.
    Hi Dave- thanks for the follow up. That is a good idea, but I would like to keep both cabinets if possible. I may end up eliminating one like you said. I don’t want to mount it until my mind is made up. I can also close the space in the middle if needed. Thanks!

Imho, there's nothing wrong with angular bases to flowing tops but those particular cabinets look completely out of place beneath that nice chunk of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Imho, there's nothing wrong with angular bases to flowing tops but those particular cabinets look completely out of place beneath that nice chunk of wood.
    I’m not in love with them either, for sure. But I am kind of stuck with them now. I tried them based off a recommendation. I’ll make something work with them.

Practically speaking, I'm of the opinion that a "live edge" really does not make for a good desk surface. If you are truly going to work on this desk, the live edge will be very annoying for your hands/arms/elbows. You really want a uniform edge or even a mild round-over edge for desk surface. Plus, the plank curves narrower in the middle which makes for a strange work surface (desk wise). It would probably be better for a shelf or coffee table.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    Practically speaking, I'm of the opinion that a "live edge" really does not make for a good desk surface. If you are truly going to work on this desk, the live edge will be very annoying for your hands/arms/elbows. You really want a uniform edge or even a mild round-over edge for desk surface. Plus, the plank curves narrower in the middle which makes for a strange work surface (desk wise). It would probably be better for a shelf or coffee table.
    Hi- thanks for the reply. This "desk" will be used very minimal. Maybe a couple calls a week for a half hour where I have to put the laptop on it. If I worked from home or used it for a work desk there is no way I would go with the live edge. I agree with you on that.

Something will look odd no matter what- that's OK.
    I would probably square the ends to the front edge.

Edit- from the thread title I was trying to picture a square tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Something will look odd no matter what- that's OK.
    I would probably square the ends to the front edge.

Appreciate the suggestion. This is probably what I’m going to do. Work off the ends.

There is no one best way for this particular thing...aside from physical stability, it's pretty much all subjective and based on what looks the best. For some natural edge pieces, that might mean making one or more "trial" bases out of scrap to figure out what the best setup is visually. 'Nature of the beast.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There is no one best way for this particular thing...aside from physical stability, it's pretty much all subjective and based on what looks the best. For some natural edge pieces, that might mean making one or more "trial" bases out of scrap to figure out what the best setup is visually. 'Nature of the beast.
    I agree
    Having seen countless line edge tables in my years, the vast majority of people basically punt on building a base. Opting for prefab metal legs because the cant come up with an attractive looking base that pair well with the asymmetry of the top.

With the OP's desk (I can't tell from the photo) I would think a floating top would look better and separate the top from being anchored to the base.
    JMO

Slab overhang both ends and front. My rule of thumb is 2", but that's just me. If that means no overhang in the back, who cares?

You'll decide after a few months' use if you like this construct or not.

I think it's fine. Nicely done. Nicely, nicely.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Plus one on what Kent said.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I was wondering how a square with a live edge would work.

If you change the color of the bases to a more neutral color or possibly paint them to appear as wood with grain it would reduce the contrast...
    There are many places that show how to paint something that looks like wood....

Nice job on the top... keep the live edges...