Thread: Teak shoe benches

Teak shoe benches

I was gifted several Adirondack chairs over a year ago.I was told they were teak truth be told I didn't believe it. With plantation teak and teak look a like wood is more likely.
    This is what real teak from Indonesia that's been sitting out in the weather for 20 years looks like. I don't care for the Adirondack chair design I feel like I'm fighting the chair to get in and out of. I made these pieces in hope to give the wood a second life.
    Im going to gift one of the benches back to the lady that gave me the chairs. I hope she approves she bought them with her late husband 20 yrs ago.
    She has a small entry that would fit one of the benches and Her style is the weathered look.
    One bench is obviously unfinished and natural. One has General's water based urethane finish. The other has Generals high performance poly. I Was surprised the difference in color.
    What do you think is she going to hit me with a fry pan? Maybe my wife should bring one to her.
    Thanks for looking
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Very nice repurposing of the teak Andrew. I would think that if she gave away these chairs to you that they obviously didn't have a very strong sentimental value to her. And after a year now I would think that you need to be there to see that happy look on her face when you give her one of these benches. Of course, take your wife along to enjoy the moment. What a great way to give back.

Blog Entries
    Very nice Andrew. Your joinery is always excellent! I agree about the traditional Adirondack chair being rather low and laid back.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-14-2023 at 5:48 PM. Reason: correct the spell checker
    Best Regards, Maurice

Never liked the Adirondack Chair design either, but A lot of people must as you see a lot of them. Shoe benches are much mor practical. Good repurposing Andrew!

Thanks guys for the compliments I was hoping for more feedback esp from Mel Fulks. I’m debating pursuing this design with rough sawn timber. I need to make a nickel. Free wood isn’t always free especially Teak it absolutely destroys tooling.
    This what a regular bandsaw blade looks like after a few feet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj