Thread: Chisel Sharpen Feedback Requested

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Chisel Sharpen Feedback Requested

I've probably spent way too much time on this, but I've been working on a 3/4” Lie Nielsen chisel that was as new from LN. I went through motions to flatten/polish the back on 5,000 and 8,000 grit shapton stones per the LN sharpen instructions. Then, I loaded the chisel up in my LN guide and set to 35 degrees per the measurements in their sharpen guide. Started on the 1,000 stone for around 30 strokes. Then moved to the 5,000 stone for around 45 strokes. Then to the 8,000 stone for around 45 strokes. Then I removed the chisel and lightly polished the back on the 8,000 stone, pulling the tip backwards onto the stone from the far side. I repeated this about 5 times to tame any bur.

So, at the end of the day, I have a fairly large polished area on the top of the chisel that shines in the light, and I have a very slight polished sliver just at the tip on the back. Seems like I did everything right per their instructions. But, I'm wondering if I have too much polished/sharpened? Also, when I tried cutting a piece of printer paper, it cuts but leaves some little tears. Not quite razor blade sharp, but still sharp.

I see people take their plane and chisel blades down to razor blade sharp in youtube videos, but I'm not seeming to get there. I didn't strop the blade after sharpening and maybe that's it, but is it practical on a chisel to go any sharper than I did? Or am I missing something in my process. Want to pin it down before I hit the other chisels on hand.

sharpen1.jpg
    Sharpen stones and flattening plate I'm using

chisel2.jpg
    1” LN chisel on left as I received it. 3/4” LN chisel on right after my sharpening.

chisel1.jpg
    Zoom in of the 1” as received from LN.

chisel3.jpg
    Zoom of the 3/4” after sharpening. Hard to get better pictures on my phone camera.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 04-11-2023 at 6:29 PM.