Thread: General maxi lathe good for beginners?

General maxi lathe good for beginners?

Hi All,

I’m potentially looking to buy a lathe and ideally I want to buy a small beginner one for about $200 Canadian I currently see a general maxi lathe 25-200 model for $750 canadian which includes the Henry Taylor beginner chisel set, general chisel set, smock and face shield plus a 4 way chuck. I’m only going to be turning small items like chisel handles, bottle opener handles, etc to get started.

is this a good lathe? I like the variable speed and figure if I buy a cheap $200 lathe I still need to buy chisels, etc. This is more than I originally want to spend but I’m ok with that if in theory I could then sell this at a minimal loss if I find out woodturnimg isn’t for me

I'm personally not familiar with the lathe, but here is an online review I found that goes into pretty good detail. You are getting a couple hundred dollars worth of extras, depending on their condition, so it seems like a reasonable price though maybe not a steal.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/review/...-12-wood-lathe

Good luck!
    Tom

If you can find out when it was made or which version of it is, that might help inform your decision. As I recall, the first iteration of those had some problems with the electronics and replacement parts are very hard to come by these days. I can't remember which years were impacted by this so you may need to do some additional searching.

Thanks for the replies! Looks like this model was bought in 2012 so seems like it could be one of the affected lathes (I see a thread in another forum in 2013 where they say the new ones are fixed).