Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dewalt DW735 w/ helical head...severe snipe

Dewalt DW735 w/ helical head...severe snipe

Purchased DW735 ($22 after giftcards from office...couldn't resist) and did a few tests before I replaced cutterhead with helical one. I am seeing severe sniping on inbound, primarily on right side. Looking at the inbound roller, it is 1/16" lower on right side. I see no way to adjust this or any other way to resolve the snipe.

I do have the bed extensions, but setting them up for level vs elevated had no impact.

Any thoughts?

Blog Entries
    There is no adjustment for feed rollers on the DW735. They are spring loaded. If your helical head is a smaller diameter than your knifed head you can increase the tension by adding washers between the springs and the blocks. It sounds like your material is feeding OK so this may be moot. If you control your stock manually does the snipe reduce? That is, slightly elevate the outer end of the board on infeed, keep it pressed tight to the table while feeding in, switch to keeping it tight to the table at the outfeed and slightly raise the end as the final few inches are cut. IF this improves or eliminates your snipe you probably have a feed roller issue in that they are not adequately controlling the stock through the cut. First and most important question is did you change the diameter of your cutter head due to the swap? Let's start there.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

To repair or replace...

Lifting ends (infeed or outfeed) had no impact. Just that bad snipe on right side of machine on the infeed. I did reach out to the helix supplier (fantastic reply/support), but like you mentioned Glenn, no adjustments. I then reached out to Dewalt and their local repair center they referred me to. Repair rep thinks (based on phone conversation) that it may be the infeed roller since it is not aligned to the unit. Provided two options, bring in for repair (2-6 weeks depending if parts are on hand) or replace from where I purchased since within the 90 day period. A LOT of work to remove the Helical head to return/replace, then reinstall. But if I ignore the repair window length, they can ensure everything is correct and said I can leave helical head in place. Gahhhhh....nothing is ever easy.

So was it sniping before you changed the head?

Blog Entries
    If they are okay replacing the planer I would do that. Overall less work and greater confidence than the folks at the repair shop being able to correct the problem.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    So was it sniping before you changed the head?
    That is my mistake... I didn't really test the machine to know. Bought it, ran 1 board through to verify it worked, then immediately started switching it out for helical head. I splurged and upgraded Jointer to helical too (loving it). But between that, cold shop so delay working out there, life getting in the way, and general procrastination, it has been almost 3 months before I actually got around to a project in which to use the new planer. And now thus am seeing the snipe on the infeed on right side.

To exchange with store, will have to remove the helical head...and then reinstall in new machine. First round took me few hours. 2nd/3rd round, maybe faster? All I can say is "Icky Icky Icky"

Next step, Call the store to see their acceptance of exchange first before making a decision.

Bum luck mate, sorry about that. I presume you can’t add a thin washer on just one side? Hopefully you can exchange it!

The dewalt 735 is the one planer that’s shouldn’t have insert head.
    The reason why the blades are indexed on the head. The blades are easy to sharpen. Infinity offers a carbide tipped blade that will leave a superior surface then a insert head.
    Insert head cannot take a very deep cut or scrap. My pm15 hh only allows for a 3/32 barely I can’t imagine the 735 doing better. Insert heads are Time thief’s.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Andrew , that was good advice ! Out of current style….but much needed !

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Andrew , that was good advice ! Out of current style….but much needed !
    Thanks Mel.
    In a day or two check the projects page. I plan on posting three small teak benches I made using weatherd wood from a Adirondack chair. I’m looking for feed back
    Good Luck
    Aj

The unfortunate bind that you're in is not knowing which of three variables is causing the issue. It could be the planer, the new head, or the installation. If it were mine I'd just accept that its going to take a Saturday to work through it all and identify the issue before I made my problem someone else's.

The insert head equipped DW735 I owned performed wonderfully with minimal snipe. I did noticed that too heavy of a cut will cause snipe, and because my Shelix insert head was a smaller diameter than the original cutter head, the stock “depth of cut” gauge was off. The depth of cut needs to be very light because the lack of HP and the light frame.

I also owned a PM15 (early 90’s mode) with Shelix head and routinely took 1/8” passes with no issue. No snipe most of the time unless I was taking a very heavy pass.

My current planer is a 16” Hammer J/P with and insert head. Performance is the same, great results, 1/8” passes are no issue.

I too had a DW735 with helical head and loved it. I sold it to a friend when I got a larger one and he loves it as well.

My suggestion is to remove the cutterhead, return the 735, write off the cost of the helical head, and use the planer as designed and sold. I'm actually surprised that DeWalt would even service the machine under warranty after the helical head installation. Seems to me that, if Dewalt felt the machine could handle the helical head as designed they would have offered that head as an option at purchase years ago.

I doubt most will feel my comment is the right course of action but I've used my 735 without changing the head for 10+ years (maybe even 15) without issue. The result has always been excellent. Sure I need to replace knives, but I have found a honing jig that does, in fact, give me at least double life on each side of the knives, so I've kept replacement costs down. There are also less expensive knives available that people have great success with, but I've never tried them. I pay attention to setting the infeed/outfeed tables higher on the outer edges, take smaller cuts, and change the blades when needed. It works for me. I don't do production work and, if you do, I'd say a table top planer isn't really the right machine regardless of cutterhead.

I have always believed that tools, especially more stationary tools like planers and jointers, are designed and built to certain specs based on how they are equipped (motors, cutterheads, dust collection, etc.) When you start messing with that by installing other after-market accessories or part reqplacements, there is a big risk that you are creating a scenario that the machine isn't designed to handle.

I realize that that there are numerous successful replacements of the 735 knife oriented cutterhead with a helical head. However, I have also heard quite a few problems that have occurred after installation of the helical head.

For me the reason I love the shelix and luxcut heads is noise. In our attached garage, the straight blade planers are just too loud. Swapping in a segmented head cuts noise enough to be tolerable to other people living in the house.

The side benefit is easy repair of chipped or damaged blade by simply rotating it. I’m back driving a DW735 again, but if I ever upgrade to another floor model, it will have the segmented cutter just like my prior Hammer A3-31 did. I will say that owning both a shelix and a luxcut, I prefer the luxcut simply because it indexes the cutters where the shelix doesn’t so its easier to get them positioned properly.