Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Hole Poll / Spin off Question?

Pocket Hole Poll / Spin off Question?

Okay let’s have some fun in the “Pocket Hole Poll” post everyone was asked if they use them.
    For those that do what kind/ brand do you have? I know some are hobbyist and some are professional but tell us what you have and like and don’t like about your system and or wish you would have gotten instead.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-08-2023 at 2:28 PM. Reason: fixed the title
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have the Kreg 5 and 4, I also picked up the PC auto adjust jig on close out. The PC I have not used yet. For the others I use the K-4 for the HD, and limited use of the Regular jig. Production Pocket Hole, use the K5 with the Micro and regular insert. Like K5 for the handle out front. Most likely will consider one of the power pocket hole jigs in the future.

Kreg - K3, K5 and 310 also called the Mini.
    I needed a new driver bit and drill bit & I recalled people saying just get the Mini since it's the same price.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

What does "spine off question" mean?

I have an old Porter Cable 552 benchtop manual unit, same as the Castle TSM12. With a downcut spiral bit it produces clean pockets even in crossgrain veneered material, the low angle reduces shifting during assembly and the pilot hole runs through with no swarf to bugger up the butt end. Downside: noisy and the hold-down bracket limits stock thickness to about 13/16". I have used a TSM 21 which is at least twice as fast and twice as expensive, and would machine thicker material. The one we had had relied on magnetic proximity sensors for cycling which weakened over time, and adjusting them was a pain. The manual units are fine for a one man shop and far superior to the Kreg system imo.

I also have a Kreg Pocket Rocket for oddball scenarios.

Spinoff?
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 04-08-2023 at 3:42 PM.

"Spin off" is what I'm sure the OP meant.

I started with an old Kreg 2 hole blue plastic block manual jig with bronze inserts that came with a modified vice-grip clamp. Still on hand today for the occasional 1 off.

Phase 2: Kreg Journeyman, older style with the metal housing. Works well to this day, though it can be problematic with breaking the tip off the step bit. Works best for hardwood face frames. If I could only have one, this would be it. Best bang for buck in convenience and performance, despite the bit breakage frequency.

Phase 3: Safety Speed bench top. Has 2 separate motors/bits for the trench and pilot and in this way, works more like a Castle pocket hole machine, including the feature that the pilot angle is lower, reducing the side-pull effect of the pocket hole systems in general. Fought with the original hold down clamp plunger, as it has a small, tear-drop shaped rubber foot that is simply unstable. Finally found a commercial grade, non-slip adjustable cabinet foot with a larger diameter that really helps a lot in mitigating the hold down issue. Still, not so good with the hardwoods for face frames. Trenching bit wobbles terribly, even with upgraded foot. Entire motor mount assembly appears over built, yet it shudders and wobbles, even after upgrading to a solid carbide spiral chip breaker bit, which also helped a lot. Makes the cleanest, most professional looking pockets in sheet goods, where there is no struggle like the hardwoods.

While I'd like to settle on one for space savings, all 3 are very nice to have, and since they're paid for, I just keep utilizing whatever one is best for the job at hand.

jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Roltgen; 04-08-2023 at 1:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Another PC 552 owner, but with a couple upgrades. Primarily the addition of a pneumatic clamp and foor pedal control.
    Screenshot_20230409_102125_YouTube.jpg
    https://youtu.be/P9Ba1AMH8hI
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 04-09-2023 at 10:30 AM.

I’m just an avid hobbyist. Started with Kreg and while it was “ok” I was unsatisfied with tear out and shifting even when using clamps, which you should always do. A couple birthdays ago my wife got me the Castle USA 110 pocket router. Wow what a difference.

I started out with the Kreg unit over 15 years ago. Then I upgraded to their newer model with the auto clamp in the rear about 8 years ago. Even though I always clamp the parts when I can, like face frames, I still had issues with uneven surfaces more times than I would like after screwing . The majority of projects I've made has been with red oak and it seemed like the tearout on the entry hole was worse, even with a new or sharpened drill. So a couple of years ago I bought the castle TSM-12 and it was a night and day difference. No tearout and with the steeper angle I no longer had any issues with misalignment. It was more than I wanted to pay for a machine like this but well worth it to eliminate the frustration factor.

My age is catching up with me. I honestly had no idea what that title error was really supposed to be. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    My age is catching up with me. I honestly had no idea what that title error was really supposed to be. Sorry
    No worries. I recently did a review of a Jointer and in the title I used "Planer"....we all make mistakes

I use an older Kreg pocket hole jig...the metal one that preceded the plastic/polymer versions that have been on the market for quite a while now. I have it built into a panel that inserts into the top of my auxiliary bench in the same area that downdraft panels go in as well as a flat surface panel. Having the pocket hole jig in the panel means that the whole work surface is at exactly the level to provide support across long workpieces without using scrap. I can also throw the panel on top of my regular bench and clamp it down for ad-hoc use while still having reasonable support for workpieces. If I were doing this kind of joinery a lot, I'd seriously consider one of the Castile pocket hole machines because of the much lower angle which makes clamping and securing a lot easier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Kreg K2000, works fine when I use it

Kreg 720 Pro which has pairs of guide bushings and a clamp so it works well to keep everything aligned while I drill and then screw. I also use another clamp as well to hold everything in place. I don't use this much, perhaps once a year, but it works well for what it does, and I like it.
    Regards,

Tom

I have two of the A-2's. One has been converted to front clamping. Several of the mini's, as they were the same price as a new bit. Couple of the first generation blue plastic models, including the drill block for 1/2" material. Last year, built Woodsmith's version of the Castle machine. Still need to get a 3/8" roughing mill bit for it. Didn't need it, only wanted to build it.