Thread: Anybody have plans for this?

Anybody have plans for this?

I am planning to start making this blanket chest this week but I don't have a complete set of plans. I have the FWW issue that featured this chest and it has some measurements but I would prefer a set of plans. Unfortunately, FWW no longer sells them.

Does anyone have plans they can share? It is from FWW #203, Jan/Feb 2009.

hickoryashchest.jpg

Yes, I know it's not terribly complicated, but I have been known to miscalculate things from time to time...

I built this one many years ago. I doubt I have plans but will take a look.

Sorry I do not have plans - but - wanted to encourage you to build it anyway even if you dont find specific plans.

With my help, 'Granddad' made one of these for each grandchild (10 or 11 of them). It was a great project, straightforward but can be adapted to different 'styles'. This pic is my daughter with hers in maple (she is much older now but still has the chest!)

Grace toychest.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    I am planning to start making this blanket chest this week but I don't have a complete set of plans. I have the FWW issue that featured this chest and it has some measurements but I would prefer a set of plans. Unfortunately, FWW no longer sells them.

Does anyone have plans they can share? It is from FWW #203, Jan/Feb 2009.

hickoryashchest.jpg

Yes, I know it's not terribly complicated, but I have been known to miscalculate things from time to time...
    Here you go:
    https://www.filemail.com/d/fmyriqjjejrfilv

For a project like that, having the general dimensions should be a reasonable amount of information to be able to work things out, especially if the article you have shows the joinery techniques and any "special" things they might have done. After all...it's a box. Don't underestimate your skills and punt just because you don't have every little detail available about the original design. It's a great learning experience. That said, it does appear that Patrick has what you want available, although I didn't click on the link.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For use around kids be careful of hardware so the lid does not slam on their heads or fingers. Also allow vents so they do not suffocate if hiding inside and someone sits on the lid. Simple finger grab slots under the lid are what I often see.
    I will describe it as the lower box is crenelated in a few places.
    Bill D

Get a cardboard box (refrigerator, washing machine, dryer) large enough to make full sized templates. I always do this for something new that I'm building. I prefer to make my mistakes with a pencil, rather than in EXPENSIVE wood. Construction looks like Shaker frame and panel with some fancy ends.

Thanks, Patrick. Much appreciated. i am actually looking for the plans that FWW used to sell. The magazine (which I have) has a lot of detail but not everything. Thank you, though.

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I am definitely going to make the chest and I am sure I can figure out the missing bits.

I was / am looking for plans because I will be building this with my sons as a birthday present for my wife. I will be occupied teaching them how to do things and I figured that a full set of plans would limit mistakes.

If I were doing this on my own I wouldn't sweat it.

Not exact, but something very similar here, full detailed plans that can be downloaded:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/d...r45NK7tl53ku1k

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Not exact, but something very similar here, full detailed plans that can be downloaded:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/d...r45NK7tl53ku1k
    Thanks, Carl!