Thread: Tuning a scraper - new find

Tuning a scraper - new find

I can sharpen some things free hand. Others, I'm content to use a jig.

Lee Valley, in their infinite wisdom has come out with a tool call the Accu-Burr. Carbide rod with 5, 10 and 15 degree valleys cnc ground in. It will sharpen both sides of the scraper at the same time.

It's one of those tools where I wouldn't have looked for it, but now I have to have it.

Apologies if this has already been posted, or if I'm violating any rules. I haven't been here much for a while. Gimme a break...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    ... Lee Valley, in their infinite wisdom has come out with a tool call the Accu-Burr. ...
    Not unique to LV, they just chose to stock it. I'd previously seen it on the LAP Blog and TFWW site. LAP suggests Heartwood Tools as a source and seems to imply they're the manufacturer, but TFWW credits Isaac Blackburn & Union Mfg, so I'm clear which small company is making this. It does seem like a good idea though, at least for us dorks that haven't mastered using a simple burnisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    ... Apologies if this has already been posted....
    A quick search suggests it hadn't been posted here before.

I'll settle for doing this task with what I have, the price is too rich for my blood.
    I have found I like this little guy.
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...r?item=05K2040

My biggest problem is holding the scraper vertical, and keeping it from sliding down as I push down on the burnisher.