Thread: Walnut cutting board

Walnut cutting board

As Walnut is prone to fading could one dye or stain it? A butcher block type finish would be applied after all is dry.
    I wounder if the coloring agent would tend to come off when the board is wiped down.
    Thank you.

If it's for a board used for serving then that approach should be OK, but if it's going to be a working cutting board with people cutting on/into it, that will cut through the dye layer, which only goes a couple of 0.-000's deep. Whether or not that's acceptable is your call. Stain wouldn't be under consideration for me in that application as it's mostly a surface colorant.

John

Thanks. I will just let it be. I'm 80 yo and will fade out before the board.

I made a walnut cutting board as one of my first projects, 20+ years ago. It hasn't faded. I think because it's not kept out between uses - stays in the cupboard. Could be the luck of the wood, but I would not stain or dye. I only used walnut oil, and now it's pretty cut up, but I like it.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Good to know. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Mine also stay dark. I assume because they are mineral oiled every few months.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler