Thread: Delta 22-540 or HF Bauer planer.

Delta 22-540 or HF Bauer planer.

The delta 22-540 and the newer Bauer are pretty similar specs wise (2 knives, same screw post layout, miter, etc.) , anyone know which one is a better machine overall. Quality, snipe, build, longevity.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I owned the 22-540 years ago. A horrible machine that would leave 2” of snipe on both ends of the board. Incredibly loud too. No experience with the Bauer.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Eliyahu stein View Post
    The delta 22-540 and the newer Bauer are pretty similar specs wise (2 knives, same screw post layout, miter, etc.) , anyone know which one is a better machine overall. Quality, snipe, build, longevity.
    Can I choose neither? I hate both companies for their total lack of customer support. I used to put a broad statement on Harbor Freight that I would never buy a tool with a cord, but bought a couple low end hand tools. I would never buy a machine from them. Same goes for Delta. They took a wonderful name in woodworking machinery to its lowest level to market cheap import machinery. Both of those machines could very well come from the same exact factory line.

The 22-540 has been out of production for at least twenty years now. FYI, I own two, plus a "parts machine." They are LOUD, snipe the first and last two inches, but leave a great finish on wood. I mainly used mine to run 1/4" edge banding, and face frame material. For serious planing, I own a Delta DC-380 (15",) and a Rockwell 13" wedge bed. The 380 weighs close to five hundred pounds, and the Rockwell weighs close to a thousand pounds, so they are not "bench top" machines. There is an old thread here at SMC on modifying the 22-540 to prevent snipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    The 22-540 has been out of production for at least twenty years now. FYI, I own two, plus a "parts machine." They are LOUD, snipe the first and last two inches, but leave a great finish on wood. I mainly used mine to run 1/4" edge banding, and face frame material. For serious planing, I own a Delta DC-380 (15",) and a Rockwell 13" wedge bed. The 380 weighs close to five hundred pounds, and the Rockwell weighs close to a thousand pounds, so they are not "bench top" machines. There is an old thread here at SMC on modifying the 22-540 to prevent snipe.
    I wonder if Delta reused the model number? If not, true about being out of production for around 20 years. They were reputed to be durable but a 20 year old machine with a universal motor would be a concern to me.