Thread: Delta 22-540 or HF Bauer planer.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Delta 22-540 or HF Bauer planer.

The delta 22-540 and the newer Bauer are pretty similar specs wise (2 knives, same screw post layout, miter, etc.) , anyone know which one is a better machine overall. Quality, snipe, build, longevity.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I owned the 22-540 years ago. A horrible machine that would leave 2” of snipe on both ends of the board. Incredibly loud too. No experience with the Bauer.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Quote Originally Posted by Eliyahu stein View Post
    The delta 22-540 and the newer Bauer are pretty similar specs wise (2 knives, same screw post layout, miter, etc.) , anyone know which one is a better machine overall. Quality, snipe, build, longevity.
    Can I choose neither? I hate both companies for their total lack of customer support. I used to put a broad statement on Harbor Freight that I would never buy a tool with a cord, but bought a couple low end hand tools. I would never buy a machine from them. Same goes for Delta. They took a wonderful name in woodworking machinery to its lowest level to market cheap import machinery. Both of those machines could very well come from the same exact factory line.

The 22-540 has been out of production for at least twenty years now. FYI, I own two, plus a "parts machine." They are LOUD, snipe the first and last two inches, but leave a great finish on wood. I mainly used mine to run 1/4" edge banding, and face frame material. For serious planing, I own a Delta DC-380 (15",) and a Rockwell 13" wedge bed. The 380 weighs close to five hundred pounds, and the Rockwell weighs close to a thousand pounds, so they are not "bench top" machines. There is an old thread here at SMC on modifying the 22-540 to prevent snipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    The 22-540 has been out of production for at least twenty years now. FYI, I own two, plus a "parts machine." They are LOUD, snipe the first and last two inches, but leave a great finish on wood. I mainly used mine to run 1/4" edge banding, and face frame material. For serious planing, I own a Delta DC-380 (15",) and a Rockwell 13" wedge bed. The 380 weighs close to five hundred pounds, and the Rockwell weighs close to a thousand pounds, so they are not "bench top" machines. There is an old thread here at SMC on modifying the 22-540 to prevent snipe.
    I wonder if Delta reused the model number? If not, true about being out of production for around 20 years. They were reputed to be durable but a 20 year old machine with a universal motor would be a concern to me.