Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reaction to the Sponatneous Combustion Video

As I noted in the other thread, there are a bunch of YouTube channels that clearly benefit (including financially) from going after successful content creators, sometimes about "how much they earn", but sometimes for other things as in this case. I did not watch nor do I intend to watch the AvE video that takes issue with Jason's testing. No matter what, if just one additional person became aware of the spontaneous combustion risk from rags used with oil based finishing products and even a single additional disaster is averted, that's fine with me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This isn't one of those channels. He's not really doing any more views than a number of his other videos. I couldn't find another one calling out another channel like this in the first page or so of results. I've watched a number of his videos in the past, and the few he has done are generally targeted at situations exactly like this, people putting out bad or misleading information.

Finally the idea that a flawed message is fine, as long as it's the right message, is itself deeply flawed. Generally what happens is that people figure out they're being lied to, and then they distrust the entire message, good or not.

I agree with you Andrew 100%.

Blog Entries
    Regardless of how you view the Bourbon Moth video or the Ave video, the fact remains that spontaneous combustion is real and oily rags coupled with drying agents can and do produce heat. Most of us that use drying oils use rags/pads with a high cotton content to apply it. The auto ignition temperature of oily cotton is 120* C (248* F). You can try this yourself with a home thermometer in your driveway any time you wish. Any drying oil product you wish, wad up the rags, place them in a metal container in your driveway and poke a thermometer down into the wad of rags and watch the temperature rise.

Here is some more reading on the subject from Fine Woodworking
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-18-2023 at 1:23 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    This isn't one of those channels. He's not really doing any more views than a number of his other videos. I couldn't find another one calling out another channel like this in the first page or so of results. I've watched a number of his videos in the past, and the few he has done are generally targeted at situations exactly like this, people putting out bad or misleading information.

Finally the idea that a flawed message is fine, as long as it's the right message, is itself deeply flawed. Generally what happens is that people figure out they're being lied to, and then they distrust the entire message, good or not.
    I'm not a regular viewer of either of these guys but I'm well aware of their channels.
    To your point about a flawed message, I couldn't agree more.
    If I find out that I've been duped or in some way lied to, it doesn't matter what message is being presented, the presenter has lost my trust and viewership.
    If the message is a valid one, there is no need to mislead for any reason.
    I certainly don't know what went on in this situation but it's only one isolated incident out of millions of videos that are suspect.
    As far as alerting more people to the possible hazard, I'm not sure. It may simply stir the pot more, persuading no one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    the fact remains that spontaneous combustion is real and oily rags coupled with drying agents can and do produce heat.
    I think we're in violent agreement on this.