Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spraying Lacquer

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I agree! The gentleman that sprays hot has been doing it that way since the 1970s. May he continue to gave good luck. My go to for a two coat spray job with no rubout is oil base Minwax polyurethane. I spray it un-thinned through my old Binks gun. I can do it at home without stinking up the whole neighborhood.
    I am curious. I have a completed, well almost completed Morris Chair in my shop just waiting for the final finish. I have been debating using lacquer or polyurethane. I spray lacquer frequently, but have never spray urethane before. I use a pressure pot, so if I wanted to spray urethane, what size tip would you suggest? Also, urethane seems less forgiving than lacquer. When I have applied it using a brush, I always get runs. I know it is because I put it on too thick, but when applying it, the only other options seems like a way too thin coat.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Make adjustments to your respirator, and go for organic cartridges as @KevinJenness; otherwise, opt for waterborne products.

IIRC in my Fuji sprayer I used a 1.8 for poly, 1.5 for lacquer. I will lay...the lacquer looks and feels so much better. And, IMO it was far easier to spray...