Thread: Keep or sell Super Dust Deputy?

Keep or sell Super Dust Deputy?

I’m a basement hobbyist, and I have a number of machines that produce dust. Most of my dust comes from sanding at the lathe and whenever I use my planer and drum sander. I have used a Jet DC650 for years (1hp, 650CFM), which I have placed outside my shop, in the garage. I have probably too long a run of flexible hose, but I don’t have room in my small shop and I don’t like the noise.

Anyway, I’ve been keeping an eye out for a good deal on an upgrade and I pulled the trigger yesterday on a combo of a Jet DC1100VX (with the canister filter and cleaning handles) and a Super Dust Deputy. I got them home and realized how much bigger the 1100 is than the 650.

I can probably squeeze the DC1100 into the space in the garage where the DC650 is – if I don’t use the dust deputy. If I want to use the Dust Deputy, I’ll have to do a lot of space juggling and construction and put the DC in a corner of my shop. BTW, the basement and garage only have a 7’ ceiling.

I find that I don’t need to empty my DC bag that much (maybe because it’s not capturing enough dust?).

My choices are:

1 – Squeeze the DC1100 where the DC650 is now and sell the Dust Deputy. Easiest solution

2 – Do the space juggling and construction and keep both. Moderate loss of shop space.

3 – Squeeze the DC1100 where the DC650 is now in the garage and hook up the SDD inside the shop. Minor hose juggling, loss of some shop space.

As I write this I’m realizing that I'm leaning towards #1, but I guess I want to know if I’m making a mistake in going that way. In other words, for someone like me, is the SDD worth the hassle and loss of space?

Thanks.

David

I'd do #1 in your circumstance but hold on to the SDD for a while. I personally have had a DC without cyclone and DC with cyclone and I very much prefer to have a cyclone. You could also look at mounting the jet on a shelf or build a mounting bracket and put the SDD below it or hang the SDD on the wall above the motor, etc. Plenty of ways to be creative and pack everything into the space if you think about it long enough. You don't need the frame and casters so what can you do without them

You definitely want to keep the SDD...I just replaced my trash can lid cyclone with a SDD and it is AWESOME!!! I decided to buy it after purchasing a Dust Deputy 2.5 for one of my shop vacs, I was so impressed with how that worked, I bought the Super Dust Deputy. It's amazing how much of the finer dust it actually extracts!!!

IMG-6264.jpg IMG-6126.jpg IMG-6261.jpg Shop Vac with Dust Deputy 2.5.jpg Just Super Fine dust in Shop Vac.jpg

I have the Jet 2hp DC which is basically the same unit as yours. I believe both have the Jet Vortex Cone, which although not a full cyclone system, does do a good job of separation compared to your old DC unit. I have had mine for maybe 6 months and have never felt that I needed to add a separator.

By keeping the Super Dust Deputy it will help with removing the finer dust and the life and cleaning of the filter. That is unless you like cleaning the filter? 😀
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Colombo View Post
    I have the Jet 2hp DC which is basically the same unit as yours. I believe both have the Jet Vortex Cone, which although not a full cyclone system, does do a good job of separation compared to your old DC unit. I have had mine for maybe 6 months and have never felt that I needed to add a separator.
    Huh. I never even gave a thought to the "Vortex" aspect of the DC. I just assumed that it was some marketing term they were using. I did a little web surfing and found that it does work as a separator of sorts. Some people use a Dust Deputy in addition to the vortex but also report a loss of suction. Leaning even closer to choice #1.

I would give it a try without the SDD and see how well it works before selling it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.