Thread: Pocket Hole Machine Build

Pocket Hole Machine Build

I wanted something that would make cutting pocket holes in cabinet panels easier, and to have a reduced "drill angle" to improve the joining of face frame components. I worked off a couple of sketches, and pretty much built it on the fly. The pocket hole router is a 2 HP Ryobi I had sitting around that wasn't being used, as well as a Porter Cable trim router that was collecting dust. With the two main components accounted for, I knew this wouldn't be an expensive build.

The machine was designed around having a 6* screw angle which keeps the stock from shifting when screwed together, and keeps the screw in the middle of the stock.

6 Degree Pocket Screw Angle.jpg IMG-6269.jpg IMG-6270.jpg

First cabinet built using the new machine...

IMG-6298.jpg

Pocket Hole Machine Overview... https://youtu.be/FBRwgZJw3ng

Pocket hole Machine in Operation... https://youtu.be/dviYlYyDZ8Y

Really nice build Glenn.
    Charlie Jones

Exceptional. I really appreciate seeing people build things that I would never even consider. I have the kreg "foreman" pocket hole machine and it works but it's not amazing. Would love to pick up a Castle but also cant justify the expense at the moment. Well done!

Built ShopNotes version of the Castle machine about a year ago. Interesting project. If building again, I would add a connected drill motor for drilling pilot holes. But since my working years are over, just building the machine was all I wanted to do. Worked as described

I used to build and sell the shop notes versions. Made some changes also.

oo man I can't see the picture

Atlas,
    You need to be a contributor to see pics and other stuff. Six bucks a year, skip one mocha latte and join for a year. You won't regret it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hall View Post
    Exceptional. I really appreciate seeing people build things that I would never even consider. I have the kreg "foreman" pocket hole machine and it works but it's not amazing. Would love to pick up a Castle but also cant justify the expense at the moment. Well done!
    Yea...the Castle machines are pretty expensive. I had the two routers sitting around, so I figured the overall cost was minimal. Very happy with it's performance. Thanks.

Video links provide the details, never included a picture of it...

Pocket Hole Machine (1).jpg

That’s a really nice piece of work- how has it held up to use over the year? I’m looking into building a smaller version I could bring to job sites- is there anything you’d change about your design? Could you show some more pics of the lever mechanism, and what is the swing radius from the top of router bit to center of pivot?