Thread: Faceplate Question

Faceplate Question

I was watching a Youtube video the other day on building an outboard tool steady rest and the guy doing it was getting ready to turn a maple burl for a wall hanging. He attached it to his faceplate using double sided tape. He had mounted a sacrificial piece of wood between his faceplate and the piece he was going to turn. He also put a bead of hot glue all the way around where the two pieces joined. The question I have is do you apply the tape over the whole surface of the sacrificial plate? I remember back when I was taking Junior High shop ( a long, long time ago) we sometimes used a piece heavy paper with glue between the sacrificial faceplate and the piece we were going to turn. Jim

Doesn't answer your question about tape, but I usually approach the situation by attaching a square of wood with CA glue and accelerator, and then hold the square waste block in a four jaw chuck. Turn the waste block away after reversing. I keep a box of 5/8" thick square waste blocks on the shelf in sizes appropriate to my stable of jaw sizes.

Best,

Dave

In relation to outboard tool rests that are free standing, does anyone make one besides powermatic which runs about $700. In some videos on youtube I see one from Delta but I cannot find it on their sight.

Look out for used ones on Ebay, Craigslist or Facebook.

Sam Angelo made an inexpensive one shown here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShQsQTbwXZI

Better are ones attached to the lathe like the ones made by Vicmarc and Robust (around $800). There are some homemade versions to be found on the AAW forum.

I would be wary of using tape to secure a blank large enough to require outboard turning. If I used it I would certainly use all the faceplate area plus the hotmelt around the outside (dry wood only). A glue block screwed to the faceplate would be more reliable imo.

I'm with Kevin in questioning using double back tape for something so large that it needs to be outboard turned.

This is a picture of David Barkby turning a huge wall hanging. He is a professional turner. He doesn't use double back tape.

I'm planning on building my own outboard steady rest. I have all the metal working equipment and I retired from being a fitter and welder and I have friends who are machinists. I'm planning on attaching it to my lathe. Won't be free standing. Jim