Thread: Need help with bandsaw blade

Need help with bandsaw blade

I picked up what I think is a pretty good saw on Craig's List, got it home (a stuggle!), but no blade. So, off to that big H store, where the guy told me that bandsaw blades were a lot safer than circular blades. Sounded good to me, so I got one of those and installed it. That seemed to go fine... it slipped right in.

But, when I power up the saw, the blade just wobbles and there's a lot of screeching. I tried, but it doesn't seem to actually cut.

What am I doing wrong?

20230331_160156 (1).jpg

Blog Entries
    You have the blade in the cross cut position, so you need to move the rip fence out of the way.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hope that's a SawStop...

It's April 1st, right?

John

Is your saw Left tilt or Right tilt? Your blade may be installed backward. Make sure the pointed parts are not against the arbor but are aimed away from it

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Rochkind View Post
    I picked up what I think is a pretty good saw on Craig's List, got it home (a stuggle!), but no blade. So, off to that big H store, where the guy told me that bandsaw blades were a lot safer than circular blades. Sounded good to me, so I got one of those and installed it. That seemed to go fine... it slipped right in.

But, when I power up the saw, the blade just wobbles and there's a lot of screeching. I tried, but it doesn't seem to actually cut.

What am I doing wrong?

20230331_160156 (1).jpg
    That blade only works on saws with a 30mm or larger arbour…..Regards, Rod

My vote would go for gullets that are too deep. They will catch on the side of the throat plate, a phenomenon known as « scaling », just like on a fish.

Everything looks fine to me. I say run till the wheels fall off.
    Aj

That safety info was wrong ,or at least incomplete. A circular saw will often just mangle
    a thumb or digit. A band saw often REMOVES QUICKLY , “Choose wisely, Grass Hoppa”.