Thread: Very large walnut slabs

Very large walnut slabs

About 15 years ago, I bought a stack of black walnut slabs that are 6/4 to 8/4 thick, 20"-22", and 15' long. They were stored in a garage and I have had them stacked in my own garage ever since. I'll build a table or two someday but I am thinking about selling some just to free up the space in the garage. It has been several year since I unstacked them all but they have been stickered and were in good shape. I know there are variables but I would love some guidance on a fair price. I would like to know they'll get used and while I do not expect to get what a dealer would get, I am also not looking to give them away. I have had people express interest over time but I never really thought about an asking price. If you have any thoughts or perspectives, I would love to hear them. If I get over the hump to actually sell some, I'll be sure to post in the classifieds. I am in Northern NJ.

Look on Marketplace to see what others are charging for walnut slabs. That'll give you a ballpark for their value. The true value, of course, is whatever someone is willing to pay for them. If they are ho-hum looking, without any unique or striking grain in them, I could get around $8/bf for them where I live. If they have really nice grain, curly, for example, the value goes up to $10 - 14/bf. What they are worth in your area might be a lot different. I have a friend who lives in an upscale area a couple of hours away who sells slabs for substantially more than I can. Location is everything.

John

@JohnTenEyck is right. Check out marketplace to gauge the value. I also saw the pricing on the Wood Vendors site for a walnut slab 1026-1 rough size 2.5″ x 18-37″ avg. 21″ x 7′ $650. Maybe worth a look-see, as they have numerous slab sizing and price tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Pace View Post
    @JohnTenEyck is right. Check out marketplace to gauge the value. I also saw the pricing on the Wood Vendors site for a walnut slab 1026-1 rough size 2.5″ x 18-37″ avg. 21″ x 7′ $650. Maybe worth a look-see, as they have numerous slab sizing and price tags.
    Thank you both. I am slowly cleaning out the garage to get to the pile of lumber and I'll get a better sense of the quality. Wide walnut seems to be over $10bf in my area but I'll expect to get less than that. When I can take some pictures I'll post them to the Classifieds area in case anyone local is interested.