Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pedestal table

Hi Keegan,

yes your table does look very similar to pictures that the client has provided. Curious, did you make the tambour/reeding for the base our source it commercially?

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike,

I cross cut a bunch of 4/4 white oak boards to the correct length (29" maybe?) then jointed and planed them to thickness. I then used a round over bit in the router table to put a bull nose profile on each long edge. Then I ripped a tambour strip off each side with my slider. Rinse and repeat until I had enough strips.

I then glued the strips to a canvas drop cloth backer with wood glue. Once that was dry I glued the canvas-backed-strips to the plywood frame and used ratchet straps to clamp it down. Because the whole thing was getting dyed black with India ink, it hid any gaps or imperfections. Top coat is semi-gloss pre-cat lacquer.

Here's a picture of the strips before gluing the canvas drop cloth to it.

table 3.jpg

Hope that helps.

Rather than a loose weight I'd install a concrete weight more permanently and be sure to make some kind of handle for lifting the base to move it. Top must be well fastened and strong because the whole thing will be moved by grabbing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Rather than a loose weight I'd install a concrete weight more permanently and be sure to make some kind of handle for lifting the base to move it. Top must be well fastened and strong because the whole thing will be moved by grabbing it.
    I suggested sandbags -- that is, loose weights -- thinking that to move the table you could move the sandbags individually, and separately from the wood part of the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    I would think you dont even need to add the water or take it out of the bag.

Can this be attached to the floor if they are dead set on it?