Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does Amazon do it?

Blog Entries

How does Amazon do it?

On March 25 I ordered a power washer from Home Depot. They said it would be delivered on April 1. Yesterday I got an email from them that said it would be delayed to April 4.
    I looked on Amazon and they had the same power washer for the same price and if I ordered it today,March 30,I'll get it by tomorrow, April 1!
    How does Amazon do it?
    Dennis

Amazon has many warehouses stocked with stuff and they are pretty good at anticipating demand and run-rate for things. HD has far fewer warehouses and often does drop shipping for larger items directly from the manufacturer. It's all about logistics and different companies have different methods to handle what they stock, where they stock and what the mix is between what they carry vs what they drop ship.

You may notice from time to time that if you have multiple items ordered from Amazon, they may arrive on the same day, but with different drivers that came from different warehouses, especially here in that big space between NYC and Washington DC. There are a "ton" of warehouses/distribution centers!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's the regional warehouses that make the difference and the location of them.

8 years ago around Thanksgiving, we lost our kitchen refrigerator. Home Depot sold the one we wanted but couldn't get it to us for 10 days and then we had to wait 3 days for delivery. A local Sears appliance store sold the same one and delivered it 3 days after we ordered it. Different warehouse locations and delivery strategies!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I don't know how Amazon does it, but most of the time they come through like they said they would. Sometimes better. Home Depot is a different story. When our refrigerator went out we were initially happy that Home Depot had one in stock and could deliver it in a few days. When they tried to call the day before to confirm delivery, instead of calling the number we had given them they called an old one on file from ten years earlier and 3000 miles away. Got no answer, cancelled the delivery and the next available date was several weeks out. I had to go get it myself.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 03-31-2023 at 9:31 PM.

Amazon amazes me. Order it under prime, and have it tomorrow, which means it's in a close by warehouse. Order it non prime, and it takes four to five days for delivery, even though most likely it's coming from same warehouse. Unfortunately a couple of my prime orders didn't make it for several days after promised delivery date. Each day, there was a new problem causing delays. I only use prime when they offer either a free 30 day trial, or a $1.99 for30 day trial. Had a gallon of water based floor finish shipped FOUR TIMES before it got to me. Then it turned out to be satin, not the gloss that I had ordered.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 03-31-2023 at 9:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Amazon has many warehouses stocked with stuff and they are pretty good at anticipating demand and run-rate for things.
    More to the point, in any given location, Amazon measures its warehouse space in acres instead of square feet.
    Size matters.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I ordered some Starbucks coffee this week at 9 AM and delivered just before lunch.

I often compare prices and find Amazon cheaper especially after I add in the cost of gas for my car. Of course, at times, Amazon is more expensive. I use CamelCamelCamel to track prices of expensive items to make certain I am getting a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I ordered some Starbucks coffee this week at 9 AM and delivered just before lunch.

I often compare prices and find Amazon cheaper especially after I add in the cost of gas for my car. Of course, at times, Amazon is more expensive. I use CamelCamelCamel to track prices of expensive items to make certain I am getting a reasonable price.
    Yes when you factor in driving over, finding a parking space and the trying to find it in the store, the check out lines and the drive home traffic. Its cheaper for me to pay for Amazon.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Amazon amazes me. Order it under prime, and have it tomorrow, which means it's in a close by warehouse. Order it non prime, and it takes four to five days for delivery, even though most likely it's coming from same warehouse. Unfortunately a couple of my prime orders didn't make it for several days after promised delivery date. Each day, there was a new problem causing delays. I only use prime when they offer either a free 30 day trial, or a $1.99 for30 day trial. Had a gallon of water based floor finish shipped FOUR TIMES before it got to me. Then it turned out to be satin, not the gloss that I had ordered.
    Ditto on the "Free Prime" offers. The offer shows up about every 60 days or so... free Prime for 30 days.
    I set it up to warn me three days before it ends, at which time I cancel it sometime in that next 3 days.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I believe that HD does not inventory major appliances. Instead, they work from the manufacturers' warehouses or manufacturers' inventory. Sears used to inventory appliances at their regional distribution centers but I don't know what their practice is since they've closed so much of their operation.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have two Amazon fulfillment centers within 20 miles of my house. I get everything the next day.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

We use it a lot. Only problem is carrying all that heavy stuff into the house. In the future all houses will have Amazon Package
    Conveyor Belts. There will be NO SLIP-UPS !….but like all new endeavors there could be some gruesome entanglements.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I believe that HD does not inventory major appliances. Instead, they work from the manufacturers' warehouses or manufacturers' inventory. Sears used to inventory appliances at their regional distribution centers but I don't know what their practice is since they've closed so much of their operation.
    Interestingly, I ordered my GE Café Induction Range directly from GE because of a discount I have available and it was delivered and installed by a division of Home Depot out of their distribution center in the Leigh Valley of PA. All the delivery calls and post-delivery surveys were Home Depot. The same thing happened half a year later when I ordered our new GE washer and dryer...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Living in a remote area, if I need something quickly but can't find it in town, I try to locate it in Spokane and drive there to purchase it. If I can wait, I often use Amazon. But Walmart, Costco and Amazon, if you are price shopping, you need to look around because you can often find the same thing at a different place cheaper but then you have to check the cost of shipping!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jim

That is strange because my last couple of purchases from HD came from a Frigidaire warehouse and delivered by a company that I assume was contracted by HD. One of the products arrived damaged and I talked to a Frigidaire person who offered an exchange or an allowance. I took the allowance as it was quite substantial for such a small damage.

HD was not involved in the transaction beyond the original purchase.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7