Thread: What wood is this?

What wood is this?

Picked up an old table that they said 'might' be teak. I do not believe it is teak.

Some pics below.

Brown in color
    Some of it has some ripple/tiger effect
    With surfacing and oil it creates a nice finish
    It is quite hard and dense.
    Somewhat an oily feel but not as bad as some exotics are
    Tough to cut - will barely go through the planer with super light cuts and even then needs a push
    Hand plane similar - needs a sharp blade and some umpph behind it
    The bandsaw seems like will wear a blade quickly - I had hoped to resaw but am second guessing that
    The widebelt with a 36 grit belt is the most efficient so far.

I am trying to decide what to do with it - besides firewood. So far I have avoided the nails. Although I have a decent amount, it has a lot of cracks and checks and will need cut down to salvage the 'good' pieces. If it was easier to work there is plenty to get some useable pieces for, but it will take some work (and blade wear) to get it cut up.

I know its hard to tell from pics, but any body have guesses on what type of wood it is?
    IMG_6523.jpgIMG_6526.jpgIMG_6527.jpgIMG_6519.jpg

I doubt Teak, could be Ipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I doubt Teak, could be Ipe.
    Why do you think it's not teak ?

Sure looks and sounds like it to me with the info at hand. I'd doubt it's IPE given the grain, thickness, color, and source.

I dont think the color match is ipe (more brown than black). But some similar attributes. And I did a tigerwood project once that has a lighter sapwood, so do not think its that either.

I havent worked with teak a lot, but what I have experience with was more straight grained and not as dense. More workable. But... there is always variation in wood.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to the SMC moderators and other helpful contributors I have the Wood Database bookmarked and have learned to take a close look at the end grain. Here is a snip from the Teak page.
    Teak | The Wood Database (Hardwood)
    Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 4.36.00 PM.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

Bottom left photo might be wool ,still on the loom !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Why do you think it's not teak ?

Sure looks and sounds like it to me with the info at hand. I'd doubt it's IPE given the grain, thickness, color, and source.
    I didn't think it looked enough like teak. the end grain didn't look correct and I personally haven't seen Teak the uniformly figured.
    I put Ipe out as a suggestion just because of the overall look but the nail holes are a bit confusing.
    Many tropicals can't be nailed unless green or pre=drilled.
    Are there any other characteristics that you can share? does it have an odor, scent.

Blog Entries
    Teak gets nailed and used for picnic tables, decks, and boardwalks (Coney Island). It looks a little like Walnut in a few of the mages. I sure can't tell what it is from here. I will look again when I find my glasses and get to the big monitor. I can see that it is very pretty!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Teak is not a "hard" tropical wood IMO.
    You don't usually have the machining difficulties the OP described with Teak, which makes me think it's a much harder (2k+ janka) species.
    JMO

It doesn’t look like teak to me. Teak has a distinct smell kinda nutty but strong and it’s not very hard.
    My guess from thousands of miles away is Afromosia.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Blog Entries
    I think Andrew Hughes Or John K Jordan first lead me to the Wood Database. Thank you both! Now to go look at Afromosia.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-02-2023 at 10:30 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I remember when afromosia became unavailable: the Montreal Olympics cornered the market to construct the track in their velodrome.

How about etimoe? Not typically available as solid lunber, but harder than teak or afromosia and often has that striking curly figure.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    I remember when afromosia became unavailable: the Montreal Olympics cornered the market to construct the track in their velodrome.

How about etimoe? Not typically available as solid lunber, but harder than teak or afromosia and often has that striking curly figure.
    This reminds me to look for a lost article that tells about the hand planing and smoothing of a Velodrome. A good candidate for Neander Heaven. I bet the job started to feel like purgatory by the end.

I looked at Apitong for a comparison. It has similarities
    Best Regards, Maurice