Thread: Dinette table

Dinette table

dinette table.jpg

Dinette table, cherry, finished with Original Waterlox gloss. Mortise and tenon joinery. Probably not going to use glue blocks to reinforce joints.

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I like the curly grain on the top.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Looks great! Legs are tapered just right!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Very nice. I like the curly grain on the top.
    Thanks Lee. Living in Pennsylvania is great for the cherry available.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Looks great! Legs are tapered just right!
    Thanks Paul!

“Table for two , with earplugs” ! So much nicer than looking at each other at the malt shop bar with people between you ! I hope you
    have a little rolling server table for it. You are gonna really enjoy using that combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    “Table for two , with earplugs” ! So much nicer than looking at each other at the malt shop bar with people between you ! I hope you
    have a little rolling server table for it. You are gonna really enjoy using that combo.
    Thanks Mel!

Nicely done Mark - nice clean lines
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Nicely done Mark - nice clean lines
    Thanks Bill! I used figure 8 table top fasteners to attach the top to the aprons.

Looks great Mark. Do wish we had cherry like that around here!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Looks great Mark. Do wish we had cherry like that around here!
    Thanks Chris!

Nice job. I love Waterlox on cherry.
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
    Nice job. I love Waterlox on cherry.
    Thanks Charlie! I love Waterlox on cherry table tops also. Of late, I have been applying very heavy coats. I start with the Original Sealer and Semi-gloss finish. Two coats 24 hours apart. After a day, Original Waterlox Gloss, wait 24 hours, sand, and then final coat. I feel like my table top is protected.

waterlox.jpg

Very nice table, Mark. Curious; I’ve heard if you want to end with a semi gloss finish to start with Gloss, then finish with semi. I guess the thinking is the first gloss coats won’t dull the look of the grain. Your table top looks great, just wondering why you do it in that order. I suppose if it works…it works!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Very nice table, Mark. Curious; I’ve heard if you want to end with a semi gloss finish to start with Gloss, then finish with semi. I guess the thinking is the first gloss coats won’t dull the look of the grain. Your table top looks great, just wondering why you do it in that order. I suppose if it works…it works!
    Thanks Phil. My wife wanted a gloss finish on my Queen Anne dining room table I did last year, and I liked it too, so I decided to repeat it. Waterlox recommends using their Original Sealer & Semi-Gloss Finish as a first coat ( as a sealer coat ). In the case of cherry, they recommend 2 coats of the sealer, spaced 24 hours apart. I assume the sealer is just the Original Gloss with some increased solvent ? mineral spirits with a flattening agent to reduce gloss. I do not see an Original Sealer in Gloss on their website. Perhaps I can make my own sealer by adding some mineral spirits to Original Gloss. 24 hours after the last ( second ) coat of Original Sealer, I applied the Original Gloss. After 24 hours, I sanded and applied the final coat. I applied all the coats with a brush in an extremely heavy fashion. Jeff Jewitt said you do not want to push on the brush hard to spread varnish so I didn't. The minute my brush began to not give a full coat and streaking started, I refreshed my brush. I ended up with a liquid thick layer every time, and went back tipping with my brush minimizing puddles and having no streaks. I gave this table to my sister. I have no doubt that both tables will be abused. I am optimistic the layers I built up will be protective. I have wiped on Waterlox, but I just don't think you get same thickness as a nice generous brush coat.

Thanks Mark! The result is certainly nice. I don’t have any experience with Waterlox. I’m an Arm R Seal guy when looking for a more durable finish. Need to give Waterlox a try.