Thread: Epilog forums?

Epilog forums?

I have access to 4 Epilog printers (3 minis (50-60W) and one Fusion Pro M2) through my community college and I'm taking a digital fabrication class. When I want to learn something I usually go to a forum and search around. I tried to join the Facebook group Epilog Laser Fans and it's been well over two weeks (yes I answered the questions, I even cancelled and tried it again in case something went wrong). Is there some other place where Epilog people gather? The FB forum claims it is hosed by Epilog and moderated by their staff.

I tried sending an email to sales with a couple of questions and they blew me off completely. I can tell you what brand I would never buy.

My teacher seems to hate these printers and tells us to go to the commercial Makerspace that has a hefty monthly fee.

But in the meantime, these are here and mostly free, so where can I find my people out there?

I'd really like to try some marquetry but it seems like "seeing" where things are going exactly when you dump from Illustrator to the printer is not so easy. I wish it had a camera system.

I bought my first epilog machine about 6 months ago after using trotec machines for the past 15 years. I've also tried to join the Facebook group with no success. I'm also looking to find a group of epilog users I can bounce ideas off of, the workflow with the epilog is much different from the trotec machines and there are certain products we make that just can't be processed efficiently on the epilog.

In regards to the camera system, it's really not very useful to be honest. It's somewhat accurate in the middle of the bed right under the lens, but is off by almost 1/8" on the edges, and this is after epilog recalibrate it for me. I use it as a rough guide, but always double check!

Seems to me we have a fair number of Epilog users right here at The Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen Joy View Post
    I have access to 4 Epilog printers (3 minis (50-60W) and one Fusion Pro M2) through my community college and I'm taking a digital fabrication class. When I want to learn something I usually go to a forum and search around. I tried to join the Facebook group Epilog Laser Fans and it's been well over two weeks (yes I answered the questions, I even cancelled and tried it again in case something went wrong). Is there some other place where Epilog people gather? The FB forum claims it is hosed by Epilog and moderated by their staff.

I tried sending an email to sales with a couple of questions and they blew me off completely. I can tell you what brand I would never buy.

My teacher seems to hate these printers and tells us to go to the commercial Makerspace that has a hefty monthly fee.

But in the meantime, these are here and mostly free, so where can I find my people out there?

I'd really like to try some marquetry but it seems like "seeing" where things are going exactly when you dump from Illustrator to the printer is not so easy. I wish it had a camera system.
    From what I've heard, they have had a ton of SPAM accounts trying to sign up to Epilog Laser Fans, and things seem to get lost in all the clutter. I'd encourage you to PM Jeanette Brewer, she's one of the moderators and works for an big Epilog Dealer in Texas. She can help you get things sorted out and into the group. As far as sales, most of the time, you're far better off finding out who your local Dealer is and contacting them. For you, it looks like that may be Advanced Marking Solutions in Milpitas. You can find their contact info on the Epilog site as well.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Utick View Post
    From what I've heard, they have had a ton of SPAM accounts trying to sign up to Epilog Laser Fans, and things seem to get lost in all the clutter. I'd encourage you to PM Jeanette Brewer, she's one of the moderators and works for an big Epilog Dealer in Texas. She can help you get things sorted out and into the group. As far as sales, most of the time, you're far better off finding out who your local Dealer is and contacting them. For you, it looks like that may be Advanced Marking Solutions in Milpitas. You can find their contact info on the Epilog site as well.
    Thanks, Steve! I also noticed my typo "hosed by Epilog" -- Freudian slip. :-D

Jen

That link to Jeanette Brewer doesn't work. Try this one. https://engravingconcepts.com/

I know Jeanette and her Dad, Roy. Both will be glad to help you if they can.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Jen

That link to Jeanette Brewer doesn't work. Try this one. https://engravingconcepts.com/

Wow -- that worked. I sent an email and was added in about 2 minutes flat!

Quote Originally Posted by Jen Joy View Post
    Wow -- that worked. I sent an email and was added in about 2 minutes flat!
    Glad that you got it sorted out and into the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Jen

Oops. That link was a link to her postings within the group. :-) Thanks for the assist.