Thread: Today

Today

Today is National Vietnam Veterans Day.

I salute all those who served in Vietnam

Though I served 8 years active duty in the US Navy from Nov.'68-Nov.' 76, I missed that dance. I am a Vietnam Era Veteran.

We are aging and passing. The last 30 days has been a rough time for me. On Monday evening the 3rd week of February, a text message was sent to me but I didn't pick it up until Tuesday morning. A HS classmate of mine had sent me a text informing me of a childhood friend's death. You know the guy, at age 5 he watched me bob up and down in a city dug ditch that the ditching machine had hit a water main and flooded. Being a good son, he ignored my pleas to get my Mom. His Mom told him to not disturb mine as she was sick (8 months pregnant with my younger brother). Luckily for me, a female neighbor driving by saw and rescued me. Years later as HS freshman he and I pulled a freshman prank on the last day of school and received a day pass home. Then our senior year, he and I had a confrontation in gym class, trading punches and we both got the rest of the day off. He got drafted, got all the advanced training the US Army offered and was sent to Vietnam as a LRRP. He took a 7.62 round above one of his eyebrows, to earn his Purple heart. His recovery took years and a number of surgeries to repair his head and face.

30 minutes after picking up the text about Dennis' passing, I got a phone call. A friend, retired Marine Lt. Col. called to tell of the passing of a mutual friend. Our friend Kent, a retired US Marine, Major, served 2 tours in Vietnam earning a Purple Heart each tour. I met him when I was invited to elk hunt with a group of guys. We hunted elk for 17-18 years in a fashion that most people wouldn't try. That year he brought me out alive after I developed serious hypothermia. When he decided to run for the presidency of the Idaho Wildlife Federation, he asked me to be his running mate. We won and served two years. He, I and 20+ others started the local chapter (Chapter 5) of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. When he was elected chairman, he asked me to serve as treasurer which I did for several years.

Again, I salute those who served in Vietnam! Thank you!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-30-2023 at 1:47 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Even though you never served in Vietnam thank you for your service Ken. Thank you to all veterans. The Vietnam veterans were treated poorly upon their return. While I was young enough the war had ended well 3 years before I graduated high school I can recall some of the mistreatment of the returning veterans. I'm sorry for the loss of your friends.

Blog Entries
    I was commissioned in 1971, my first ship had just returned from Viet Nam. I was fortunate to not get orders over there nor assigned to a ship that did go over there. I highly respect all the folks that did go over there.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I too was in the service (Army) from Feb 68-76. Had 75 guys graduate from electronics training in my class, 70 went to Nam. I went to Germany. Luck of the draw.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Blog Entries
    You guys are tough! Really tough! I was in grade school when the Vietnam Veterans were returning home with what was left of themselves. Paquin Tower a V.A. high-rise apartment was built right next to our school. Most of the kids were terrified of the inhabitants. The building was on my paper route and I got to know several of the disabled Vets. I wish I had had a better understanding of the gravity of the situation. Ironically (coincidentally) we drove past Paquin Tower today without remembering the day. I did not see any wheelchairs or gurneys like in the 1970's but several tough elderly Gentlemen were sitting out front, enjoying the sunshine and having a smoke. Thank you for your service!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Missed that one. Brother served two tours, and BIL one. Wife's cousins both served, one in Nam, and the other surrounding country, which can't be named as US didn't officially have any troops there. I missed it for a couple reasons, main being our dad was put out of WWII as a disabled vet, which meant when brother was in Nam, I was in "sole surviving son" status. When they came up with the draft lottery, my number was too far down the list to be called up.

Thank you. All of you.
    I truly wish there was some way I could go back in time. I would make sure that each and every one of you received a fond, appreciative welcome home like you deserve.

I found this video recently and it touched me. It's part of a series of videos called "moments of truth". They try to present "good things" instead of bad news. LINK

Respectfully,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-29-2023 at 9:02 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Ken sorry for your loss of friends. I guess it comes with the territory as I too have lost friends from the war and that era.
    I too am a Vietnam Era Vet. I actually had orders for Nam . Our plane stopped in Kadena Okinawa and a bunch of us with my MOS were taken off the plane and assigned to stay there for our tour.
    This morning I had a eye Dr App. In Anthem,AZ and on the way home I stopped at the Veterans Memorial , there was just one other Vet there, I gave him a Veterans Key fob that I make and give to Vets when I meet them.
    The Veterans Memorial in Anthem is one of the most unique Veterans Memorial I have ever seen and I've been to many around the country. If you ever get to Anthem AZ take the time to visit the Beautiful Memorial .Please read the article , I can't imagine the design engineering that went into this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthem_Veterans_Memorial

Thank you all for your Service
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Ken sorry for your loss of friends. I guess it comes with the territory as I too have lost friends from the war and that era.
    I too am a Vietnam Era Vet. I actually had orders for Nam . Our plane stopped in Kadena Okinawa and a bunch of us with my MOS were taken off the plane and assigned to stay there for our tour.
    This morning I had a eye Dr App. In Anthem,AZ and on the way home I stopped at the Veterans Memorial , there was just one other Vet there, I gave him a Veterans Key fob that I make and give to Vets when I meet them.
    The Veterans Memorial in Anthem is one of the most unique Veterans Memorial I have ever seen and I've been to many around the country. If you ever get to Anthem AZ take the time to visit the Beautiful Memorial .Please read the article , I can't imagine the design engineering that went into this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthem_Veterans_Memorial

Thank you all for your Service
    Bert,

I travel to the Phoenix area periodically. I have a daughter and husband who live in Mesa and our oldest son's daughter with her family lives in Apache Junction. I will try to visit that memorial. Thanks for the information!

BTW, that type of engineering has been around for thousands of years! In 2016 in Ireland, we toured a tomb built an estimated more than 5,000 years ago. On the winter solstice, the sun light aligns with a window above the entrance and lights the inner most chamber of the tomb for 17 minutes.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-30-2023 at 12:26 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yes I salute those that served in Viet Nam. I was in the Air Force SAC command Air Craft Electrician and was sure that I would be extended and sent over. But did not so I am just a Viet Nam ERA vet, and now feel guilty not being over there.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I just saw this thread. It brings back lots of memories, mostly bad. I served 12 months and 22 days boots on the ground as a Marine grunt and have 2 Purple Hearts to prove it. In years past on Memorial Day I have posted the names of the 25 friends I lost over there. I honor them by remembering their names since it is an article of faith among Marines that as long as we remember them they are never gone. I also choose to honor ALL veterans no matter where and when they served. Thank you all.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 03-30-2023 at 4:07 PM.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I just saw this thread. It brings back lots of memories, mostly bad. I served 12 months and 22 days boots on the ground as a Marine grunt and have 2 Purple Hearts to prove it. In years past on Memorial Day I have posted the names of the 25 friends I lost over there. I honor them by remembering their names since it an article of faith among Marines that as long as we remember them they are never gone. I also choose to honor ALL veterans no matter where and when they served. Thank you all.
    Semper Fi Brother
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Yes I salute those that served in Viet Nam. I was in the Air Force SAC command Air Craft Electrician and was sure that I would be extended and sent over. But did not so I am just a Viet Nam ERA vet, and now feel guilty not being over there.
    I think most of us feel a little guilt, but you go were they tell you to go.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander