Thread: Gel stain and finish question

Gel stain and finish question

I'm doing a project using Mahogany and Oak laminated together.

I used Mohawk grain filler, sanded etc., then stained the Mahogany with Cherry Gel stain and the Oak with Gel Light Golden Oak. I'm letting the stain dry overnight and in the morning, want to do my first coat of sanding sealer and finish.

Because I used Gel stain, I'm assuming I would be better off with oil based varnish/polyurethane. Am I wrong?

I have Ozmo oil, water based finish and exterior spar-type polyurethane available.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Don't use Osmo. It's designed to be used only on bare wood or with Osmo's waterborne stains.

You said you used Gel stain; I assume it was oil based. You can use any varnish over oil based stain as long as it's really dry. Many folks apply a coat of dewaxed shellac first if using a waterborne varnish to make sure there are no problems with bonding. But even if using oil based varnish, where there is no worry about incompatibility, you would do well to wait until the stain is truly dry. Overnight often is not nearly long enough.

John

I agree with John. Gel stain doesn’t really penetrate the wood, it mostly sits on the surface. With a waterborne finish, a shellac tie-coat is a very good idea. With an oil-based finish, I suggest a test piece—I think you’ll find that applying the finish before the gel stain is full cured will lift and move the stain.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Thank you to you both.
    I was in touch with my local Mohawk finishing store, and they told me that their "Pour 'n Wipe finish was compatible with the gel stains I used on the wood, and since I had it on hand already, I've decided to try it.
    I'll see what happens.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    I've applied brush on lacquer over Min Wax gel stain a number of times. You want to apply a cot, but don't brush it a lot as it will soften the stain. Oil based poly has less tendency to soften the stain, but may still do so if it isn't fully cured.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute