Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Straight Edge Quality and Price to buy?

Best Straight Edge Quality and Price to buy?

I have been wanting a good straight edge for some time now as I have always just used my 48’’ level for setting up tools. So, what are the forums recommendations for quality and pricing that would be recommended. I know there is not a lot to them, but tolerances are important to me along with a good value.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I bought a 36" steel straight bar from Lee Valley. I'm very happy with it. Mostly because I used it to discover that all of my levels, 24" up to 78" are as straight as it is. My first 78" door jamb level, a Sears Craftsman aluminum level bought in the mid 1970's no longer works as a level, the bubbles are bad, but it is dead on flat and straight. I will never let it go.

I wouldn't dismiss your levels too quickly.

I like the 4 foot aluminum rulers , the wide ones , about 1 and 3/4 inches wide and 1/8th thick. Pick two of them and test them side
    by side. I also have an 8 foot straight edge that I made by using 1/4 inch tempered Masonite faced on both sides with laminate glued
    on with plastic resin glue. Then ripped , beveled , filed . Tested by by drawing a line , then turning it around to see if it matched. It’s
    about 4 and 1/2 inches wide. Look up cost of an 8 foot straight edge !

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I also have an 8 foot straight edge that I made by using 1/4 inch tempered Masonite faced on both sides with laminate glued
    on with plastic resin glue. Then ripped , beveled , filed . Tested by drawing a line , then turning it around to see if it matched.
    Ooh! I like that. Now I have to have one.

What accuracy do you need? Does it need to be traceable?
    Starrett or Mitutoyo is probably the best quality and highest prices. For wood working used is probably plenty good enough.
    I doubt you want a camelback or accurate right angles.
    Normal rules of handle with gloves, kept it out of sunlight, etc. Most reliable storage is hanging free from a nail on the wall. A drawer full of stuff is probably the worst for nicks and stress
    Bill D

This Starrett at Amazon is under $10 an inch.
    https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-386-...4-dc28e6d374b3
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-28-2023 at 9:51 PM.

Well, Thank you, Dave ! The reason I made it was to lay out a sundial for 37 and 1/2 latitude. Not much demand for sundials , until
    people find out the real ones work. I demonstrated dials to a couple of well educated people who said , “I had no idea those things
    worked !” There are at least two good books on making sundials. And they are ALL bigger than the biggest Rolex !

I've made my own 4 foot ones out of quartersawn oak and they work well. Accuracy all in how much time you put in to setting them up.

https://cdn.woodsmith.com/files/issu...raightedge.pdf

You can use Mel's method to make the stock and it's even cheaper (and more stable).

I have both 18" and 38" versions of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Yellowhammer-...s%2C157&sr=8-1

Pretty good combination of accuracy, price, & utility. Maybe not machinist tolerances, but fine for setting jointer tables, etc..
    It's eye opening, when you see that your levels, rulers, even granite plates are not all that straight or flat.

Good steel straight edges are preferred for precision type setups (such as saw blade toe-out and jointer table setup - basically anything that requires dial indicators for setup). The Stabila and Johnson levels are good as well, but may not be as easy to use in some situations because of how thick/wide/bulky the level is (like 1.25" or 1.5" thick). I don't think you need a steel straight edge for anything over 39". A super long level/edge is generally used for stuff like mounting/aligning a long outfeed table. I don't think this kind of setup needs the ultra-precision of a steel straight edge.

I think the Kinex straight edges are better than the Starret because they are thicker. You are looking at 10-12mm for a 29"+ straight edge (that's 3/8 to 1/2" thick!!). The Starret are less then 1/4" thick (1/8" for the shorter straight edges). The Veritas are cheaper, but still only 1/4" for short ones and 3/8" for 36" long.

https://taytools.com/products/kinex-din-874-0-straight-edges?variant=31370908827735

https://taytools.com/products/kinex-...31371046748247

The spring steel is good for keeping shape over temperature range, but less resistant to corrosion compared to the stainless steel model.
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 03-28-2023 at 11:48 PM.

Lee Valley makes a good one. I have their 38".
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Not remotely useful for any sort of layout work, but I have a 'stick' with notches bandsawed in the ends, bent to tension a length of safety wire. You can't get much straighter than that.

Back when Michael Angelo was working with marble to make statues, he avoided straight lines . So he got by without a lot of expensive straight-edges.

I think these are pretty reasonable.
    https://www.ptreeusa.com/layout_straight_edge.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Lee Valley makes a good one. I have their 38".
    +1. Very happy with mine.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Lee Valley 12” and 36” steel have met my needs for almost 20 years.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler