Thread: Finding obsolete lathe parts

Finding obsolete lathe parts

Other than constantly checking EBay any ideas where to locate parts for older lathes? I have a Powermatic 3520a that I need a quill and quill lead screw for. I also have a Jet 1442VS that I need the speed control handle, bracket to mount the motor and the lid that covers the wire hook ups on the motor.

These lathes are old enough that JPW no longer has these parts for them and wants me to buy new equipment. That is not an option so anyone know of a woodworking equipment wrecking yard or similar place. Can you point me in the right direction?

Just eBay for the Powermatic. It's not old enough to be on vintage machinery. You might be able to use some Grizzly parts on the Jet.

Thanks Richard, I will start looking at Grizzly and see if anything looks similar.

The harbor freight and grizzly lathes were direct copies of the Jet 1442 IIRC.

I think the quills for the Jet 1642 and the Pm3520A were the same. If so, I might have a spare from a Jet 1642 but I'll have to verify it is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    The harbor freight and grizzly lathes were direct copies of the Jet 1442 IIRC.

I think the quills for the Jet 1642 and the Pm3520A were the same. If so, I might have a spare from a Jet 1642 but I'll have to verify it is the same.
    I might have a line in the parts for the Jet. Let me know about the quill for the 3520.

I believe the old 3520 and 1642 quills are the same. The diameters are definitely the same (1.395" or so) but I don't know about length. After looking at the quill I have, I discovered it has some damage to the taper end. I don't have a reamer to clean it up so that mt2 accessories stay put. I'm sorry for getting your hopes up.

Hopefully knowing that a 1642 quill is the same diameter will increase your odds.I forgot to verify the slot width and depth are the same though I assume they are.