Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

27 Mar 2023

Greetings,
    I have passed my Sawmill Creek milestone - I've been here and helping with the forum for over 20 years now (Feb 2003). I was over on Badger Pond Woodworking forum before SMC was "born" and I was even given the chance to take over the old Badger Pond forum but lack of time and money prevented me from doing just that.
    Life changes things as we grow older and I get less done now than I did 20 years ago. Seems like time moves faster but I know that the truth is....I'm moving and thinking slower and the clocks are all still moving at the same speed as they did before. I used to make woodworking a critical priority for me as it was an insatiable hunger to learn and become good at the craft I was given. I am thankful to SMC, the site admins, moderators that I still call "family" to this very day and all those Creeker Friends that I've both met in person and have yet to meet.....to all of you? I say Thank You for just being "you" and willing to share your knowledge and skill with me over all these years. May good health and prosperity follow each of you all the days of your life.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    I finished up a baker's dozen push sticks to give away. About two months ago I worked at a ramp module build and had to use the table saw in the shop to rip a board. The plastic push stick that was available was terrible to use. I went home and made two push sticks for the ramp building group. At the next ramp module build I presented the two push sticks to the shop owner. He promptly replaced the plastic on with one of the new ones. One of the ladies working asked if I would make two push sticks for her husband who uses a table saw. I agreed to do that. The next Sunday there was a prayer request for one of our church members who had hurt his hand pretty badly on his table saw, so I decided to make a bunch of push sticks and pass them out to people at church that have table saws.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I finally finished theconstruction on the end table that's been on my outfeed table for a couple years. I sanded it down, vacuumed it, turned on the air cleaners, blew it off with the air compressor. Then I wiped it down with mineral spirits and stained it with the stain my wife chose. Yesterday I put the first coat of wiping polyurethane on it. Today, I applied the 2nd coat on it. Tomorrow, I'll sand it and begin the application of the next coat.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-27-2023 at 11:52 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Congrats on your twenty, Dennis! Looks like I pretty much share that milestone with you, at least relative to time putzing around here. There's a whole bunch of us that were here back at or near the beginning of Sawmill Creek!! May we all get twenty more

The past week was, um...well...a bit intense. Our older daughter "finally" got her right knee replaced which is a highly unusual thing for someone who's only 27. But it was shot from multiple injuries that caused both arthritis and nearly complete deterioration of the cartilage. That, combined with the leg not even being straight anymore made getting a new knee a requirement to be able to walk and stand and get back to being able to work, etc. Thank goodness for Medicare... She's doing fine, but her recovery will take a little longer to really get started because of the ligament work require to straighten her leg. Meanwhile, I have to go over there twice a day to feed her cat Harry and make sure she has food, etc. This too shall pass. I hope.

Despite all that I did get some things done...finished up the storage cabinet for under the slider's right side table, did a little work on an additional CNC project for a friend that has some complications (it involves actual piano keys) and also started working on the concrete walkway that will go between the shop building and the house/patio, digging things out, getting stone in and getting the forms mostly in place. There will be threads on at least two of those three things. And just to keep things interesting, I found a way to use the CNC for something related to that concrete walk.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My 'not sure what it is' project is coming along; processing wood that I got from an estate including some 2x6 figured redwood; milling some teak. Not sure if I posted stands for the stone sphere collection; gave this box for grandson's b-day along with pocket knife. Also bid on & awaiting arrival of two sumi-tsubos that I want but do not need.
    In my semi-day job, I cut & installed glass in cabinet doors, diagnosed a tricky leak (not the roof, the dishwasher), fixed outdoor light electrical problem that another electrician spent three hours on, completed refinishing a wood countertop, and spent hours unsuccessfully trying to locate bits to install a lockset in a 2 1/4" door.

IMG_4052.jpegIMG_4053.jpegIMG_4054.jpegIMG_4055.jpegIMG_3977.jpegIMG_3979.jpegIMG_3980.jpegIMG_3723.jpeg

Dennis and Jim congrats on the 20 years and Jim good luck to your daughter, that sounds like a serious operation.

Presently I got the last 3 drawers mostly machined for the chest on chest dresser that has been hanging around my house unfinished for way to long. (Embarrasingly long)
    I have a faux built in cabinet front an door that will cover the eectric box at the cottage, and an end panel for the kitchen cabinets there that are getting ready for final glue up and finish.

Congrats Dennis! I sure appreciate all the advice of the "long-timers" here and the work of the mods and others that keep the place running!

Cameron, that's some nice work you've done. Had to look up sumi-tsubos, and I can see why you are attracted to them.

I'm plugging away on the laundry table project. All the solid stock is prepared and the plywood bits are just about ready for applying the laminate. The laminate and backer arrived so that's the next step. I've been playing a lot more pickleball and it's cutting into shop time, but the added exercise can't hurt.

I got a quote for a bunch of tree work that needs done. It's north of $10k so that gives me pause. I *could* do most of it, but not sure I want to. Well, I'm sure I don't want to, but that isn't chump change. I have some time to decide; it's too wet out in the woods to do anything now anyway. I'll probably get another quote or two, but the number was about what I expected anyway.

Mary and I spent a couple of days in the Columbus/Springfield Ohio area to celebrate one more trip around the sun for me; it was nice to get away for a bit. Spent a morning at the Heart of Ohio Antique mall, which is one of the nicer ones I've been too. Not too many tools though. I did come home with some Tom Swift Jr. books. I had the whole series when I was kid, they are how I got good at reading and what sparked an interest in science for me. I gave them away decades ago, but now am collecting them out of nostalgia.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

As a much newer member, I'll echo the appreciation for this community. It's amazingly helpful and generally not too cantankerous (much less outright malicious).

I built a few beds for a friend's kids as well as cranking out a bunch of drawer boxes for a cabinet. It was nice to get back to work after a bit of time away due to the great ski season we've been having.

1679881358304.jpg1679872098210.jpg20230325_184148.jpg

Dennis, thanks for your contribution to forums over the years, greatly appreciated.

Jim, please pass my best wishes on to your daughter for a complete and thorough recovery.

I made a changing table for my daughter out of pine, mortise and tenon construction, painted white at her request.😝

To make up for that travesty she delivered our first grandchild, Maeva Noelle

6002829E-1DB1-43CB-9CB2-8E5A03057344.jpg

Michelle and Maeva are doing well.

Regards, Rod

Congrats Rod!

Jim, best wishes for your daughters recovery. She's in good hands!

Congrats to all the long timers. I use this place to live out dreams of being in the shop more and appreciate everyone's advice and comments.
    I've been working on the shop itself. When we moved in it was essentially a 2 car detached garage in the middle of our yard. I bought some eps foam for the north gable and started getting that put in. I wish I had done all this before putting stuff in it but life had plans and I do a project then work on the shop then do a project and so on. I found where the mice were staying after seeing signs of them all over the ceiling "lumber storage". I also got some more wood for the playset I've been working on for ,u loddps/ (It's supposed to be a rocket ship). One more set of walls for the nose. It's been on hold with the winter. I hope to be done by the end of May at the latest.
    IMG_4253.jpg IMG_3077.jpg IMG_3076.jpg

After looking at framing and insulation for a year after replacing a window, I finally installed the trim. My wife's reading nook is complete.
    IMG_20230329_133011.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stelts View Post
    After looking at framing and insulation for a year after replacing a window, I finally installed the trim. My wife's reading nook is complete.
    What a wonderful spot to catch up on one's reading! Love the trim job and the view!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-29-2023 at 4:57 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

That looks really nice, Mike!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The hidden feature is it helped me rationalize buying a new jointer to handle the wide panels. The remaining 16 windows wait until it arrives.