Thread: Cheap Vega lathe?

Cheap Vega lathe?

A lathe is one thing I have been looking to add to the shop. There isn't much available right now close to me, but this one had a big price drop. The motor is missing but I work at an industrial distributor and should be able to get one. I know nothing about the tail stock or the chuck though. The chuck looks like it's rusty and could potentially fail, and I think that would be bad.

Is this something a beginner turner with mechanical skill could get going again or should I run for the hills?

received_1078207476469878.jpgreceived_1593404114504626.jpgScreenshot_20230326-204039.jpg
    Last edited by Jason Buresh; 03-27-2023 at 12:15 PM.

That looks like a hard pass to me. The drive center does not appear to be compatible with a scroll chuck or face plate which means this is good for spindle work primarily. Also no apparent motor controls are shown. This means investing in a motor plus all the electronics for variable speed. If my assumptions are true, $25 is probably close to scrap price for this.

Out of curiousity, I just perused the market on the book of faces using Milwaukee as the center point. There is a really nice Rikon midi lathe listed in Marinette, WI for a reasonable price.

A couple songs come to mind "walk on by" and even better "run, run, run" just my 2 cents

Thanks for the opinions. I figured it was basically a boat anchor but I didn't know at that price if it would be worth investing some time or if parts were an easy swap. I'll continue to be patient and watch.

What are you planning on turning? A serviceable lathe for spindle work (table/chair legs, small boxes, etc.) may be different than one for bowls/platters/vases, etc. versus one that can do it all.

I started with a mini lathe (10” x 12”) to do small boxes/Christmas ornaments then quickly got hooked and wanted to do bowls/vases, etc. and ended up upgrading to a Laguna 2436. It wasn’t cheap (though cheaper than most large lathes) but now I love that I can make small spinning tops or core 20” bowls on the same machine depending on what wood I have handy and what mood I am in.

I guess I was hoping to turn things like Christmas ornaments, knobs, chair parts, maybe table legs, toys, etc.

I can't say I have a huge interest in turning bowls but things change

The Vega was a good lathe, but they aren't made any more, at least I think they closed their business. Other than that, only way to know is to go look at it.

robo hippy