Thread: Anyone do any Kumiko?

Anyone do any Kumiko?

I've been thinking about trying my hand at it , but as always I have delusions of Grandeur making a big screen but I don't know how long
    it will take with the hand jigs, I looked into ha ganna but no one seems to have any.

Anyway looking for advice (I will start with a small project but I really want to make a nice screen)
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

there are a number of youtube videos that give some good information. The one in particular that I recall is from the channel "pask makes", I believe he has a number of kumiko videos now. They do look nice!

i spent the last covid winter in the shop teaching myself kumiko. i did not make anything larger than table lamps and a few small boxes. it was a really satisfying process. look for an old fwwing magazine that has an article about layout, jigs, and cutting (it's out in the shop and i'll look for it later today). i primarily used jelutong for the lattice work.
    there are a few other resources that i used - and will come back later with the names. lots on you tube - mike farrington has several kumiko videos.
    here's a few of the lamps
    have fun with it
    jerry
    (sorry about the sideways pics)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    jerry

I've done it a few times. Used the method in Mike Farrington's video on YouTube. Not particularly difficult if you take your time...my second was 50% better than the first, and the third was 50% better than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqAbRqhEBY4

fwwing - # 274 - april 2019 - good one for table saw jigs
    shoji & kumiko design - desmond king
    jc
    jerry

I was going to mention that there are many, many patterns that can be made without using the ha ganna. Don't let that stop you

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher View Post
    I looked into ha ganna but no one seems to have any.
    Never seen these before but they are not necessary for what I did. And TBH, they seem WAY too specialized for a place in my toolbox given how limited they are in their use, compared to a block plane or a wide chisel with some relatively simple jigs.