Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on starting price for a Delta 36-L51X Type Tablesaw

Thoughts on starting price for a Delta 36-L51X Type Tablesaw

I'm looking to sell an Delta X5 unisaw in good condition and trying to figure out a starting price. It is about 17 years old and has normal wear and tear, no rust. Under the table a small piece has chipped off the front end bracket but this doesn't impact the the saw performance. Its a non movable part and I can't figure out why it was cast that way in the first place.

Saw Details:

5hp Single Phase
    51 inch rail and Biesemeyer Fence
    Includes X5 mobile base
    Includes arm and safety cover for dust collection at the blade
    Aftermarket riving knife
    Includes dado insert

I can pull together some pictures if that helps.

I think this saw will be hard to price. It has a lot of valuable features, but the X5 series are not very highly regarded, at least by some people. That was when Delta was going down the drain, as I understand it. If you're looking to sell quickly start lower, or if you want to get the most and don't mind waiting start higher.

Adam;

After 17 years, you got your money's worth. You should be thinking in terms of your "walk-away" price.

You understandably have a vested interest - things like the aftermarket riving knife was important to you, but today's saws come with one, so that's a negative actually. It's hard to believe that something you've lived with for that long won't mean much to outsiders, but there you are. Plus - you are focused on "no rust" and "chipped bracket" and "dado insert" and "mobile base" - those topics matter not to a buyer of an old Delta.

I had a Unisaw that was older than yours, still in the "delta is pretty good" era, and sold it at age 15 for a few hundred bucks, because I needed it gone, and after 3 months I had to search for a low-baller. I loved that saw, but nobody cared.

You also have a disadvantage - that 5hp rig will need a 30a service, if I'm not mistaken, so most buyers will have a nice fat electrician's bill to boot.

Put it on facebook marketplace at $100 over your walk-away number.

I feel you, brudder.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

My strategy for pricing things is to go to eBay and try and find one and then check the "sold" transactions. Then I use https://www.searchtempest.com/ to locate one within 500 or 700 miles and see what they are being listed for. At least that gives you some more concrete estimate of market value. I think any saw like that would have pretty good value to someone, but it might take a bit of time to sell. If you're patient someone will want it.
    Last edited by Jay Houghton; 03-28-2023 at 3:05 PM. Reason: add more

I am looking to make room for my new saw, so time is important. And yes it is hard to price. Its damn near impossible to find parts too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I think this saw will be hard to price. It has a lot of valuable features, but the X5 series are not very highly regarded, at least by some people. That was when Delta was going down the drain, as I understand it. If you're looking to sell quickly start lower, or if you want to get the most and don't mind waiting start higher.

I'll check that out. I wonder if parting it out might make sense.

Thanks for the advice. I hear what you are saying. You are correct I ran #10 with a 30 amp breaker.

Once you decide on your pricing, you can put your ad in the Classifieds. I moved this here because discussion isn't permitted in the Classifieds.

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When I finally decide to replace my unisaw, I'll probably install the dado blade and keep it facing opposite of my new saw for outfeed and quick dado work.

That’s similar to what I have. I have my Unisaw and PM72 side by side sharing a fence rail, each with its own fence. Nice to have two blade setups.

Blog Entries
    Adam,

I think you might be surprised what it's worth. If i remember right, the Delta X5 tools were pretty decent. Baldor motor, Biesmeyer fence.

I've been checking in on the used tools here in the Raleigh/Durham area (i'm looking for a power feeder for my shaper), tool pricing has gone way up in the last 15 to 20 years. A comparable saw to yours is around here listing for between $1500 to $2000. In really good condition I mean.

My unisaw is about an 2003 if I remember correctly.

Good luck with the sale of it.

PHM

There is a 5hp X5 listed near me for $2000...

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    There is a 5hp X5 listed near me for $2000...
    Asking prices are quite often not anywhere near final sale prices. How long has it been listed at $2k for? I'd argue that if its been listed for more than a week it is priced too optimistically.

Blog Entries
    $2,000 is about half the price of a new one:

Powermatic PM2000B, 3 HP, $4,700
    Jet Deluxe Exacta, 5 HP, $3,844
    Grizzly G0651, G0651, 3 HP, $2,500

None of those are US made, I'm pretty sure the Delta X5 is.

If I understand Adam's situation: One owner, hobbiest, the tool has had light use and is in really good condition. I'd guess it's worth $1,500 to $2,000. About half of what a new one costs.

I think the only negative to the tool is it's from Delta, parts are hard to get for it. But even with that the motor, starter, belts can still be found easy enough.

PHM

Yeap, it has a Baldor motor. I agree with your price assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Adam,

I think you might be surprised what it's worth. If i remember right, the Delta X5 tools were pretty decent. Baldor motor, Biesmeyer fence.

I've been checking in on the used tools here in the Raleigh/Durham area (i'm looking for a power feeder for my shaper), tool pricing has gone way up in the last 15 to 20 years. A comparable saw to yours is around here listing for between $1500 to $2000. In really good condition I mean.

My unisaw is about an 2003 if I remember correctly.

Good luck with the sale of it.

PHM