Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB Stanley 63 Spokeshave Cap Iron Screw

WTB Stanley 63 Spokeshave Cap Iron Screw

Might be a stretch but I thought I would ask before buying a donor spokeshave. My 63 is in great shape but I don’t think the cap iron screw is original (see picture). Most of the pictures that I have seen are thumb screws and that is what I am in search of. I think it would make make adjusting the initial iron bedding a bit easier. If you have a spare thumb screw let me know.

Thanks for looking!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26BE4DA2-7DB8-4240-BC6F-47926A5DBA70.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	498455

Andrew, it might be easier and quicker to drill out the existing threads and retap the body for an available new thumbscrew. I did this on an 80 cabinet scraper once and it was very easy to do as the cast iron threads easily. It isn’t like the 63 is a valuable collector piece.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Andrew, it might be easier and quicker to drill out the existing threads and retap the body for an available new thumbscrew. I did this on an 80 cabinet scraper once and it was very easy to do as the cast iron threads easily. It isn’t like the 63 is a valuable collector piece.
    Andrew, I agree with John, but before you start, check to make someone hasn't already retapped the threads. Some of the #63s did have round head screws in stead of thumbscrews. Yours looks like it not only has the wrong screw but like it also has the wrong lever cap. Yours looks like it has a flathead screw (for a countersunk hole). That is definitely wrong and not likely to have the correct threads.

As John said the cast iron is easy to thread. It is also easy to jam a screw of the right size with the wrong pitch into the threaded hole. It has happened to a few old tools that have come my way.

Just looked at your picture again and the outline of the original lever cap can be seen.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Andrew

Here is a picture of my 63. As Jim stated the 63 has a different lever cap. Fortunately donor 63 (or 64) spokeshaves are not expensive. Also my blade is different as mine has a slot in the center.

On a second note is the japanning finish original or did you refinish it. Looks good

Name:	IMG_1455.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	225.8 KB 
ID:	498489
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 03-27-2023 at 5:25 PM.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Blog Entries
    Andrew, my #63 is the same as William's but without a washer on the thumbscrew. Your blade looks like it might have come from a #52 or similar spokeshave like the red handled shave in this image:

Name:	#63 & #52 Spokeshaves with adjusting Mallet.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	498490

The thumbscrew on my #63 was checked and it looks to be a 10-28 thread. That isn't something that will be in your local hardware store.

The only listing found when searching > 10-28 thumb screw < is one on ebay that will set you back about ten bucks with shipping.

Other searches might turn up more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Guys…thanks so much for the sage insight.

The body of the plane is in exceptional shape (probably 99% japanning intact). So I think before a go the re-tap route I am going to continue looking for a reasonable donor 63 with a correct lever cap and thumb screw. That said I would bet that correct thumb screw will require re-tapping. The existing flathead screw is a #8-36 which is totally wrong.

I just hate “frankenplanes” especially with a gorgeous body.

As an aside, I did manage to get two (2) of Ron Hocks blades just before he closed his shop last week. One for the 63 and one for a nice 53. I had put a Hock blade on a 151 a year or so ago and it just gave that spokeshave new life. Was kindof hoping to do the same for the 53 and 63…we’ll see!

Thanks again for the input.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Alexander View Post
    Guys…thanks so much for the sage insight.

The body of the plane is in exceptional shape (probably 99% japanning intact). So I think before a go the re-tap route I am going to continue looking for a reasonable donor 63 with a correct lever cap and thumb screw. That said I would bet that correct thumb screw will require re-tapping. The existing flathead screw is a #8-36 which is totally wrong.

I just hate “frankenplanes” especially with a gorgeous body.

As an aside, I did manage to get two (2) of Ron Hocks blades just before he closed his shop last week. One for the 63 and one for a nice 53. I had put a Hock blade on a 151 a year or so ago and it just gave that spokeshave new life. Was kindof hoping to do the same for the 53 and 63…we’ll see!

Thanks again for the input.

Andrew
    Andrews

I just bought a 64 not shipped yet. I believe the 64 has the same lever cap and thumb screw. I will let you know when I get it. Almost all of the 63s I looked ar had the washer, but none of te 64s seem to have te washer.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Like many of us, I got my 63 & 64 second hand. Neither had a washer and the 64’s cap screw was incorrect (not uncommon when finding one in the wild) and completely mucked up the threads to the point I had to retap it. Which I did, using the thread count of a knurled screw I happened to have (photo below). Worked well, but I could never get the caps on either of the shaves tight enough to prevent blade movement. Then I saw a photo of a shave with the proper screw but with a protrusion beneath it that I finally figured out was a washer. So I added one and voilà, I could tighten the screw enough to hold the blade securely. A highly recommended fix.

Name:	17B5D0D7-ED52-4228-9924-D4720A0FE083.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	498524

William…good suggestion expanding the search to include the 64. The flat bottoms are more plentiful and cheaper!

Stephen…you are reinforcing my thoughts regarding the correct thumb screw/washer.

Thank you both…Andrew

Stephen, thanks for the tip about the washer. The 64 I just bought doesn’t appear to havre the washer. I’ll check the size on my 63 and get one if I don’t already have one. I am suppose to get my 64 Monday and will let you know if for some reason it is different. The 64s are cheaper and more common.

Moderators: May want to consider moving this topic to the Neanderthal forum as is contains some useful Stanley 63/64 spokeshave information. Just loose the WTB portion of the title.

Thank you

I have the screw pictured that came in a box with a Stanley plane that it doesn’t fit. It’s a 10-24. It looks like a Stanley screw. Yours for shipping + $1. PM me if you want it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB0B30EC-58F1-44CA-81C0-06F7C51D51ED.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	498617  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    I have the screw pictured that came in a box with a Stanley plane that it doesn’t fit. It’s a 10-24. It looks like a Stanley screw. Yours for shipping + $1. PM me if you want it.
    To the best of my knowledge Stanley didn't use 10-24 fasteners on any of their hand planes or spokeshaves.

jtk

But….it probably is a good fix for his shave because it is a good size for retapping the hole.

Left click my name for homepage link.

PM sent to Keith…how about that!