Thread: Warping of plywood art

Warping of plywood art

Hi everyone. Thanks for the amazing resource of this community. I am beginning to make some wood art with a 100 watt laser that will be either around 10" or 24" square. I am concerned that if I use 1/4" Baltic birch, it may warp after some time if the clients home. Does anyone have knowledge of what size plywood warping becomes an issue? I could use MDF but it cuts slower and would need a good veneer. Also, if the Birch is painted at this size, is it standard practice to still paint the back to keep the wood even? Thanks!

You could do the laser work on the birch and then laminate or glue it to a heavier piece of plywood.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

If you are buying Baltic birch, a higher grade of plywood, and it is flat when cut then it should remain flat as long as ambient conditions are favorable.

I'm forgetting my manners. Welcome to Sawmill Creek. Take a little time and explore all the forums on SNC. There are some added benefits for contributors (as little as $6.00 per year.)
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-28-2023 at 10:07 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Have you tried ultra- lite mdf ?

Blog Entries
    Nothing is completely flat. None. And most will move, the amount depending upon the size. I laminate two pieces together and this is best way I've found to keep relatively flat. The sheet goods supply right now is the worst I've ever seen. Nothing is quality at all.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others