Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a Bandsaw Idiot: Please Help Me Install This Blade.

I'm a Bandsaw Idiot: Please Help Me Install This Blade.

Hi, Everyone. Yes, it's true -- I'm a bandsaw idiot (and most other power tools too).

I recently purchased a Wen 9-inch bandsaw that I love and that works great in my shop.

It looks like all brands of this model come off the same assembly line. Here's a line drawing of the Sears version:

s-l500.jpg

I recently broke the blade and ordered a new one. This 62" guy right here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T3Z95J9...roduct_details

I have installed a new blade and am getting some rubbing. he new blade is 1/2" in width. Here's the blade info from the WEN owner's manual, showing that this machine can handle a 1/2" wide blade.

BLADE WIDTH 1/8 in. 3/16 in. 1/4 in. 3/8 in. 1/2 in. 3/4 in. 1 in.
    MINIMUM RADIUS 3/16 in. 5/16 in. 5/8 in. 1-1/2 in. 2-1/2 in. 5-1/2 in. 7 in.

The area rubbing in a rectangle vertical change above the left side of the lower wheel. (I have lightened the area with Photoshop.)

wen for sawmill JPG.jpg

I have aligned the blade perfectly, and also tightened it as far as it will go. It is still rubbing against that area.

Please let me know if you want me to post more photos.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 03-25-2023 at 4:50 PM.

Is there a question?

Should have a small wheel to turn to get the ‘loop’ in right ‘lane’. Occasionally you get a “band “ with a crooked weld that causes
    trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Should have a small wheel to turn to get the ‘loop’ in right ‘lane’. Occasionally you get a “band “ with a crooked weld that causes
    trouble.
    Mel, thanks so much for your post.

Mel, I've looked up and down and right and left and I don't see a wheel or anyplace a place would attach. Do you mean dual wheel bearings, where the guide is for the blade where you cut?

I'm going to look at some diagrams of other brands of this saw. As I said, they all seem to be coming from the same factory.

sm

Hi Scott, that saw cannot take a 1/2" blade.

What you posted is a chart that gives a minimum cutting radius for blades, not a chart that shows what blades your saw can use.

The saw you have can take a blade up to a maximum of 3/8" in width, I would try a 1/4" first as it isn't a saw with an excess of blade tensioning capacity.

Regards, Rod.

I don't run anything bigger than a 1/4" blade on my 10" saw, and see no gain from anything wider than that on a 9".

Years ago I saw some small bandsaws that did not have a way to adjust. If that is the way your saw is made, you might have to make some kind of wood structure that cases the band ,possibly between two pieces wood coated with graphite. But that is only a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Scott, that saw cannot take a 1/2" blade.

What you posted is a chart that gives a minimum cutting radius for blades, not a chart that shows what blades your saw can use.

The saw you have can take a blade up to a maximum of 3/8" in width, I would try a 1/4" first as it isn't a saw with an excess of blade tensioning capacity.

Regards, Rod.
    Hey, Rod, thanks so much; that makes a lot of sense.

One last question, if I may. The WEN model I have was recently discontinued. The model # is 3939T. The direct replacement in the WEN line appears to be model # 3959. What's puzzling to me now is which length of blade I should be using. In the link to the 3939 model that I own on the WEN product page it lists the replacement blade as 62 inches:

• Uses 62-inch blades anywhere from 1/8 to 3/8 inches in size

https://wenproducts.com/collections/...chtop-band-saw

For the WEN replacement model (#3959), it lists the blade as 59-1/2".

• Uses 59-1/2-inch blades anywhere from 1/8 to 3/8 inches in size

Here's my quandary: The 62-inch blade I installed is cranked all the way down, yet still has far too much play in it. Conversely, the 59-1/2" blades I've tried appear to be too small. What's going on? Is it possible that the industry considers 62" the same as 59-1/2"? The reason I'm thinking that is that a two-by-four, for instance, is not 2" by 4".

I will go back try to fit the 59-1/2" blade after I post this.

Thanks Again,
    Scott

Don’t forget to back off the tension all the way before you try putting on the shorter blade. Also after you back off the tension grab the top wheel and pull down on it to make sure it has moved as far as it can
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Don’t forget to back off the tension all the way before you try putting on the shorter blade. Also after you back off the tension grab the top wheel and pull down on it to make sure it has moved as far as it can
    Steve, will do, thanks. I could almost swear that I pulled all the way down and triple-checked it, but I'll try it again. I loosen it so much that the handle came off completely, so I can't imagine that it didn't settle all the way down.

Will report back, and thanks for your advice.

Scott

Odd that the 62" blade appears too long, do you still have the broken blade? Can you measure it? Agree with Rod and others, no way that saw will properly tension a 1/2" blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Odd that the 62" blade appears too long, do you still have the broken blade? Can you measure it? Agree with Rod and others, no way that saw will properly tension a 1/2" blade.
    Doug, hi, thanks for your post. I may have no been clear in a previous post. I did have a broken blade, but it was a 59-1/2" x 1/4" blade. I bought some of the same size to replace it, but they seemed too short, so I bought a 62" and that one was too long. I feel like one of the three bears visiting Goldilocks.

I'm going to go back and try the shorter ones again. It's entirely possible I didn't have the upper wheel as low as it needed to go.

Will report back by tomorrow.

Thanks Again,
    Scott

Blog Entries
    Here's a link for the manual for your saw. I agree with the others that the maximum blade is 3/8", see page 3 of the manual. The tracking knob is on the back of the saw. Adjusting the tracking is explained on page 11 of the manual.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-26-2023 at 6:38 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Here's a link for the manual for your saw. I agree with the others that the maximum blade is 3/8", see page 3 of the manual. The tracking knob is on the back of the saw. Adjusting the tracking is explained on page 11 of the manual.
    Lee, thank you. I'm going back to a 1/4" blade, to see if I can get that size to work. I'm familiar with the tracking/alignment knob from previous bandsaws. I'll report back tomorrow.

Thanks again, and have a great evening,

Scott

The manual that was linked to by Lee says the blade length is 62". One would think the manufacturer would put the correct length in the manual. If a 62" blade is too large then I think something's wrong. Maybe the spring is broken or over compressed, something is bent, etc. The fact that you were able to install a 59-1/2" makes me suspicious something is amiss.

John