Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Box-Maker’s Plow Plane

Been waiting for a long time for the next planes from Veritas.

Very nice plane. I think it would be cool to make a limited edition in the Record blue color.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Peter -

Just a smaller (less expensive) version of the plow....
    ...It's just another choice.... and maybe one that is less daunting for an newer user!

Cheers -

Rob
    This is exactly why I picked up the record 43 when I was starting out. I would have been over the moon if this had been available when I bought my plow plane.
    One question, I have always started my grooves at the far end of the cut and worked back toward myself. I noticed in the video, the cut is started at the closer side of the board. Is there a reason I'm unaware of?

I have a RH Record and a Rapier, so the LH Veritas is coming home with me today.

I already have a plow plane. I don't need it. But it sure is cute.

Next up - the combination plane.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

These planes are at a great price point. If you think about buying a drawer-bottom plane, these become quite an attractive option. They're less expensive by far than any commercial offering of which I'm aware, so you could save a lot of money just by purchasing these as dedicated grooving planes/drawer-bottom planes, but of course if needed, these are far more versatile.

Luban actually came up with an interesting take on the record 43 plow. Cast stainless steel and the skate is tapped to accept a kerfing blade. I kind of wish that veritas would add a kerfing blade feature to there tool lineup...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Note that the Veritas Small Plow blades can be used in the Record/Rapier #043.

I have the Record #043, and will take inspiration from the Veritas version to add a screw to the lever cap, as Veritas have done. The damn thing always falls out.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    That is a great idea! I'll do the same.

DC

Blog Entries
    Luban actually came up with an interesting take on the record 43 plow.
    Sounds good until looking deeper into it:

Luban #43.jpg

The cost with shipping is the same as the Veritas. The Veritas comes with one blade and includes shipping. The Luban comes with three blades.

The Veritas can use small beading blades. The Luban can likely use small beading blades but they don't appear to be listed.

The Luban has a saw blade holder.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Does anyone have this plane?
    2 gap so big you could drive a truck through.jpg

This is not normal right? On mine, the front rod is tight, but the rear rod has a gap so large you could drive a truck through it. The loose rod rattles and the fence is easily out of square. Tell me im not crazy and thats not correct?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Northowl View Post
    Does anyone have this plane?
    2 gap so big you could drive a truck through.jpg

This is not normal right? On mine, the front rod is tight, but the rear rod has a gap so large you could drive a truck through it. The loose rod rattles and the fence is easily out of square. Tell me im not crazy and thats not correct?
    That may not be normal. Have you tried turning the fence unit upside down to determine if the rod is too small or the hole is too big?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank for the reply Jim. I did try just that. And it would seem it is the hole that is too big. I reached out to customer service as the store didnt seem to know if that amount of slop was on purpose or not.

https://youtube.com/shorts/36PXQiEWNDA?feature=share
    Last edited by John Northowl; 04-08-2023 at 5:57 PM.

Inspired by the Veritas version, I modded the Record #043 blade clamp with a bolt into the body. No more will it fall out and threaten to get lost!!

Close up of the bolt position. This uses a M4 thread, tapped into the body. The clamp received a corresponding 5mm hole. The positioning is further forward than I would have preferred, however there was more metal there.

The downside of this position is less movement at the front of the clamp. The blade (just) slides in and is tighten firmly at the rear.

Seen from the other side. Just managed to save the "Record" inscription.

Lastly, I use the Veritas blades in the #043. This is a 5mm.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 04-09-2023 at 6:16 AM.

Folks, please refrain from any political comments.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Curious if anyone else has received this plane yet? I got mine this week and I do see what John references above, there’s quite a bit of play with the rear bar. I did ask customer service if this was by design as it does seem to allow enough movement to where the fence may not be square. Below is the response I received if others are interested.

Perhaps if Rob or someone else sees this, they can shed further light. I’m guessing it is by design to allow the fence to slide easier, but because of the play, it actually causes the fence to get hung up. It’s a relatively small plane, however, so in practice it may not matter. I did not see this addressed in the instructions that came with the plane.

Thank you for your e-mail. I can't say for sure whether it is by design, but I found out that by tightening the front rod first the fence stays parallel to the skate, which is what matters. This was consistent for the four planes I tested so far (including my personal one).