Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Box-Maker’s Plow Plane

Veritas Box-Maker’s Plow Plane

This looks like a new offering from Veritas, based on the Record 43 design if I am correct. Very happy to see that Veritas is continuing to not only fill demand of their existing line-up, is introducing new models as well.

Now with that said, I am not sure what the pros/cons of this plow plane are compared with their "Small Plow Plane". Perhaps if Mr. Rob Lee sees this thread he could add his two cents.

Last edited by Peter Schussheim; 03-25-2023 at 7:35 PM.

I’m curious as well. I’m also curious as to why the fence rods extend inboard where they will interfere with clamping rather than outboard over open space like the record product. This is one gripe I have with my small plow. This is not the case with their combination plane.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Now with that said, I am not sure what the pros/cons of this plow plane are compared with their "Small Plow Plane".
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I’m curious as well. I’m also curious as to why the fence rods extend inboard where they will interfere with clamping rather than outboard over open space like the record product. This is one gripe I have with my small plow. This is not the case with their combination plane.
    A smaller plane is often easier to use on smaller work. This has been my experience making different sizes of boxes.

Two things come to mind on the rods positioning. First this may have been seen as more comfortable for the user. Second is it may have helped to keep the price down by reducing the machining costs.

One big pro on this one is the price is $100 less than the small plow.

Having the rods inboard is something often used with my plow planes to make them more comfortable when using. There are many ways to steady the work when working with fenced planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes, the Record lets you move the rods in or out...user's preference.

I like to move them in, otherwise the curved rail (where my left hand goes) would be quite uncomfortable.

But YMMV.

PXL_20230326_135016722.jpg

Lovely to see this useful little plough get a new lease of life. I think Record DNA is strong within all the Veritas plough/combi planes.

If those bars are fixed like that it would be a shame. I often work small pieces on edge in the vice. I wouldn't be able to do that with this version.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Haydon View Post
    Lovely to see this useful little plough get a new lease of life. I think Record DNA is strong within all the Veritas plough/combi planes.

If those bars are fixed like that it would be a shame. I often work small pieces on edge in the vice. I wouldn't be able to do that with this version.
    It looks like the are held in by screws into the end of the bars. It likely wouldn't be too difficult to make a pair of short rods.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Agreed. Luckily we have access to the Record, Rapier and Marples versions for not much in the UK.

I have the rapier 43. Identical to the record version.
    This looks great.
    I have looked at the beading blades in the past to extend it's functionality, but I'm not really sure
    I'd use them all that much.
    I hope the next plane is dedicated T&G plane, not unlike the remake of the no. 48 from LN.

Note that the Veritas Small Plow blades can be used in the Record/Rapier #043.

I have the Record #043, and will take inspiration from the Veritas version to add a screw to the lever cap, as Veritas have done. The damn thing always falls out.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schussheim View Post
    This looks like a new offering from Veritas, based on the Record 43 design if I am correct. Very happy to see that Veritas is continuing to not only fill demand of their existing line-up, is introducing new models as well.

Now with that said, I am not sure what the pros/cons of this plow plane are compared with their "Small Plow Plane". Perhaps if Mr. Rob Lee sees this thread he could add his two cents.
    Hi Peter -

Just a smaller (less expensive) version of the plow, for those who do smaller work - hence the invented "Box Maker's" plane name.

The more focused grip (is that the right way to say it? Perhaps "compact stance"?) seems to work better for me on smaller pieces. Then too - I would rarely plow anything larger than 1/4" in width. I could see this plane staying set-up as a beading plane full-time.

It's just another choice.... and maybe one that is less daunting for an newer user!

Cheers -

Rob

Hi Rob -

We definitely chose grip comfort over clamping clearance here. Also having rods fixed at the fence end has clear manufacturing (and cost!) advantages as well as making the plane easier to set up.... Jim had it all correct!

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Peter -

Just a smaller (less expensive) version of the plow, for those who do smaller work - hence the invented "Box Maker's" plane name.

The more focused grip (is that the right way to say it? Perhaps "compact stance"?) seems to work better for me on smaller pieces. Then too - I would rarely plow anything larger than 1/4" in width. I could see this plane staying set-up as a beading plane full-time.

It's just another choice.... and maybe one that is less daunting for an newer user!

Cheers -

Rob
    Thank you Rob

Securing the rods with hex screws gives some serious leverage, they should stay tight, unlike the brass thumb screws on the combination plane. I’ve been trying to get a flat milled on my rods but machine shops want a lot just to set up the tooling to do it.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I’m not even sure I would have a use for this plane, but it is so well done and just looks so functional I may “need” one for those reasons alone!!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I’m not even sure I would have a use for this plane, but it is so well done and just looks so functional I may “need” one for those reasons alone!!
    Similar feelings are tempting me to pull the trigger on one of these.

jtk