Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: OneFinity Elite arrived - finally...

I went straight to a spindle when I setup my Journeyman. It's super quiet, when not cutting, you can barely hear is spinning at 18K rpm.

This is what I ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The water pump is 230V which I didn't use and substituted for a 110v pump.

I wired it all myself, pretty straight forward. The controller controls the stop/start and speed speed via the G Code from Vectric.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I went straight to a spindle when I setup my Journeyman. It's super quiet, when not cutting, you can barely hear is spinning at 18K rpm.

This is what I ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The water pump is 230V which I didn't use and substituted for a 110v pump.

I wired it all myself, pretty straight forward. The controller controls the stop/start and speed speed via the G Code from Vectric.
    $375 for that set up? Less than 1/2 the price compared to the Pwn spindles recommended by 1F. Thanks for the recommendation. Maybe I'll make the switch move sooner, although I'm waiting for 1F to endorse an auto tool change solution as I would expect that to need a specific spindle.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I think you have short somewhere, too, probably in the power cord. Surprisingly, it's not so uncommon. The speed adjustment units can go south, too, but that's not likely to be the cause if it now works. Another possibility could be dust in the switch but that usually takes a lot of use before it becomes a problem.

John
    Turns out the short was in the new extension cord I bought for the router power. Never had a new cord fail. Wasn't even a variable in my mind when I first retested the router (w/o the extension). At least it was a cheap fix.

Got the waist board nearly fully surfaced today, until just a few minutes before the end of job when the CNC just stopped moving. Took me a few minutes to add 2 and 2 to realize the loaded program was missing the last several lines of gcode. I had been getting a spurious dropped connection on the USB drive today so I figure the program didn't fully load. Hope the problem is in the drive and not the controller. Maybe I can check that out this evening.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Got the waist board nearly fully surfaced today, until just a few minutes before the end of job when the CNC just stopped moving. Took me a few minutes to add 2 and 2 to realize the loaded program was missing the last several lines of gcode. I had been getting a spurious dropped connection on the USB drive today so I figure the program didn't fully load. Hope the problem is in the drive and not the controller. Maybe I can check that out this evening.
    Got a decent quality thumb drive today and got the waist board fully surfaced. I appreciated 1F tossing a thumb drive into the delivery, but it was a very low quality drive. Sure has been a long series of stops and starts and learning but the machine is finally ready to rock and roll. Might even be able to get a first carving done this weekend.
    Brian

never run the program from a usb drive ;oad it to the computer

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    never run the program from a usb drive ;oad it to the computer
    The program is always loaded to the controller to run. There is no onboard permanent store with the Masso G3 controller.
    Brian

All the frustrations you've encountered will be forgotten once you start making stuff and see all the new things possible to compliment your other woodworking skills. I hope it's smooth sailing from here.

For what it's worth, my machine has been rock solid since day one. About 15 or 16 months now with no problems beyond my own stupidity. I'm still using the Makita router, with at least 200 running hours on it, and still on the first set of brushes. I've heard there are overheating problems with some newer Makita routers, so keep your eye on that. Some folks say the collet gets almost too hot to touch after only a few minutes of run time. Mine is warm but not hot when doing real work, but almost room temperature when doing long 3D finishing carves.

Good luck.

John

I wouldn't use that thumb drive. Don't buy one from Amazon or ebay either. I've had one that would just lose the final part of the file. The program, which is just a text file, would run then suddenly stop. You don't need a big one so just buy a name brand from Best Buy. They buy directly from the manufacturer so there's no chance of it being counterfeit. I got my spindle also from Amazon. It's an HY brand that came with the VFD (https://www.amazon.com/HY-HUANYANG-V...ef_=ast_sto_dp). I went with HY as they are the ones that all the other Chinese companies are copying (both spindle and VFD). Never had an issue with it.

I just put some 2 1/2" aluminum blocks under each foot to raise the 1F up further from the spoilboard. Before I had the spindle mounted as high as possible, not it's sticking down by about 1/3. It should be an option from 1F. Either between where the X and Y axes mount together or, like I did, under a 4 feet. I now have 7 1/2" inches below the Z axis. I also upgraded to the latest firmware so I will rewire my spindle so the controller can turn it on and off and set the speed.