Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OneFinity Elite arrived - finally...

OneFinity Elite arrived - finally...

After just a mere 16 weeks and 2 rescheduled deliveries, my OneFinity Elite Journeyman is in the house. It took some hits along the way judging by the holes the boxes, but from what little I could see, it all looks superficial. OneFinity could up their packaging game a notch or 2. Was a real workout getting that big box to the basement.

image_50732289.jpgimage_67185153.jpg

But that's as far as it's going to get for a few days at least while I finish up rebuilding the left branch of the dust collection to give me a port for the CNC. Finished the table a couple days ago, or at least got it to the point I can install the machine on. Drawers, etc., coming in the future as I figure out what I need.

image_50386177.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 03-25-2023 at 1:29 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Congrats! Looking forward to the "build".
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I think the big box weighs north of 125 lb. How they get regular UPS to deliver that is surprising. It is sort of surprising 1F doesn't use a crate instead of the cardboard box. When you get to that weight range you just know it's going to get bumped and dropped along the way. My Journeyman, where the largest box weighs only around 80 lbs, I think, had some damage, too, but everything inside was fine. I hope yours is in good shape once you get it unboxed. I would do that right away, just in case, so you can notify UPS and 1F if there is any damage.

Are you planning to reinforce the sides and rear of the cabinet with plywood? It would be a good idea to keep it from flexing. Even the Journeyman can exert some pretty high inertial forces, and the Elite is much faster and heavier, so it will put even greater loads on the cabinet.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    ...I hope yours is in good shape once you get it unboxed. I would do that right away, just in case, so you can notify UPS and 1F if there is any damage.
    Yep, I'm going to open them up tonight and check it out. I ordered some accessories on a separate order and I noticed that they assigned the same tracking number. So I'm hoping they're tucked in to one of them.

Are you planning to reinforce the sides and rear of the cabinet with plywood? It would be a good idea to keep it from flexing. Even the Journeyman can exert some pretty high inertial forces, and the Elite is much faster and heavier, so it will put even greater loads on the cabinet.
    Appreciate the insight. Had not considered anything other than weight so I wasn't planning on doing anything more. I think the structure is pretty strong but if needed I'll add bracing.

I'm planning to eventually enclose the machine but don't want to get too far ahead of myself since this is all brand new to.me. I also opted for the router instead of a spindle while I learn and also while 1F figures out the ATC. That will be a nice upgrade.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Congrats, Brian! Nothing like a new tool to spice up one's life!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Un-boxing Day

Got the DC buttoned up this morning, then decided to put the yard work off an hour or 2 and unbox the toy.

image_50400513.jpg

That X rail is a beast. It was all I could handle to get that thing out of the shipping box and onto the table with some care. Much more massive than I picked up on in videos. Nice little personal note from the QC team at Onefinity.

IMG_0078.jpg

Disappointed with the casters on the table. I was a little apprehensive when I first opened the box that they would hold up even though they are rated 210 lbs/wheel, and sure enough they are deflecting under the load. I figure the table and machine are around 400 lbs. Will be upgrading those soon.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 03-27-2023 at 5:56 PM. Reason: Removed company name. ...I might have, maybe, well ok, likely made an error on installation. Apologies to the company.
    Brian

These are the locking/leveling casters on have on my cabinet. They are very robust, and the leveling feature is a must IMO to make sure the bed of the CNC doesn't rack if/when you move it.

John

+1 on John’s suggestion. I have similar castors under my Stinger table and once the pads are jacked down they are rock solid.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

These are the locking/leveling casters on have on my cabinet. They are very robust, and the leveling feature is a must IMO to make sure the bed of the CNC doesn't rack if/when you move it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    +1 on John’s suggestion. I have similar castors under my Stinger table and once the pads are jacked down they are rock solid.
    John, Bruce, thanks for the recommendation. I looked at those when caster shopping and decided the casters would be much easier to flip down with my foot than getting down on my knees (not an easy thing for me anymore..) and ratcheting each wheel down. But I have to stop and rethink this before I set the machine up.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 03-27-2023 at 5:52 PM. Reason: Removed company name
    Brian

Exciting! Looking forward to the build process and test runs.

Look forward to what you think of the Masso controller. I'm not sure if the stiffy is needed but 1F was including them free so why not. My machine was shipped with the X35 with a stiffy and is was a monster while I was waiting for the X50 rail. I did a test (after watching it on YouTube) where I stood on the center of the X rail with a dial indicator under it and the deflection was a couple of thousands. I do think the upgraded Z axis is needed with a 80mm spindle. Once you get past the learning curve it gets fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    John, Bruce, thanks for the recommendation. I looked at those when caster shopping and decided the peachtree casters would be much easier to flip down with my foot than getting down on my knees (not an easy thing for me anymore..) and ratcheting each wheel down. But I have to stop and rethink this before I set the machine up.
    Yes, that is the one drawback with this type of castor. It is a PITA getting down and ratcheting the pads up & down. Fortunately, I rarely need to move my setup.

Andy Rooney

Interesting note - I got an email survey request this afternoon from Onefinity indicating they have become aware of issues with the packaging of Elite machines. So I filled it out noting the lightweight cardboard and packing tape that had split on several seams. I wonder if they are monitoring SMC and saw my initial post? I didn't have any damaged parts but it wouldn't have taken much more mishandling to get there. Hopefully they can make some improvements so no one gets a damaged unit.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 03-27-2023 at 5:57 PM.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Look forward to what you think of the Masso controller.
    This is my first foray into CNC so I have no basis to compare it to. But one thing I've noted from videos and reading is the loss with the new controller of being able to use a game control to manage movement. That seems like a nice thing to have, but I'm sure it will not be a real issue for me.

I'm not sure if the stiffy is needed but 1F was including them free so why not.
    My thoughts exactly.

My machine was shipped with the X35 with a stiffy and is was a monster while I was waiting for the X50 rail. I did a test (after watching it on YouTube) where I stood on the center of the X rail with a dial indicator under it and the deflection was a couple of thousands. I do think the upgraded Z axis is needed with a 80mm spindle. Once you get past the learning curve it gets fun.
    Hmm. Just don't have motivation to stand on my new $4k precision toy. But given the mass of that X rail, I can understand how it holds up to that.
    Brian

I use my Joypad all the time on my 1F, it seems a bit of a backward step to not be able to use it, but I think this new controller is going to be so much better, so that slight inconvenience is not an issue. You can do everything from the touch screen on the new controller. The only place where the Joypad is really handy is setting the position over the probe block when you are about to set XYZ.

I think you'll love it.